Sign in to follow this  
Ringer

Tundra oil change.

Got my oil changed in my Tundra today at Right Toyota. I have a 100k Toyota warranty so always have them do it. 72000 miles. I drive back 15 minutes to my shop and hear a slight whirring sound. Get in it to go home and look at the oil guage and it is on zero. Check the oil and not one drop of oil. They say they will stand behind it if anything goes wrong. Had a lot lizard drive over and fill it with oil. How would you handle that. I wonder how much internal damage could have happened running it 3-4 miles dry.

• Wow! 1

I would be pissed. Make sure to document what happened and if any thing goes wrong in the next few days to few weeks they will be hearing about it. Then again, you may have no issues at all. Just another reason I do my own.

Lot lizard crew checking in. i would say you should get something of some sort in writing, Idk what exactly. Or give you a warranty of some kind. If it’s not making any weird noises now I think you’ll be fine though. That is inexcusable 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m surprised it drove 3-4 miles with no oil and no oil light coming on. You can bitch and complain your way up the management ladder and get some free stuff if you wanna go that route, works for some. Or just keep a record of it for the future. Toyota’s have tough engines. Had a corolla that burned oil so fast that it got a quart every tank of gas (every 3 days) oil light would come on after 2 quarts low but it only held 4. So glad when I totaled that car!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No lights at all. They said they would send me something in writing. I noticed the oil guage moves up and down a bit now and it never did that before.

the oil pressure gauge? It should move up and down a little with the throttle. 

Remember the Castrol gtx commercials that often ran during the fishing shows on Saturday mornings. And they’d dump the oil and let the engines run. 

• Like 1

I would be pissed and would want an extended warranty of some sorts.  Like stated above, Document it for sure, but chances are you are ok.

7 minutes ago, Ringer said:

I guess I'm a little paranoid looking at the oil gauge.

HAHA you sound like a women. I am guessing the gas gauge "Triggers" you

seriously  your probably going to be fine. Personally I would have them check compression and run a camera in the clyinders to see what they look like.. only thing it could have damaged in that distance is really the oil pump itself and the cylinder walls(providing it didnt over heat)

if they do the camera deal make sure they show you when there doing it. Liek people said its a toyota you can beat them to death and they will still run 200k+

What a bummer.  I would have called them to see what they advised to do just to minimize any confusion of what was (or wasn't in this case) done.

No need to have them do the maintenance to have them honor your warranty.   You only need to document the work you (or someone else) did.  I would vote for the former.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Eddie

It’s hard to imagine making it 4 miles with out any oil you can be off the stick and still have some oil obviously not enough 

Run it for a few days and get it oil sample done it will tell if you have any wear metal if you have internal damage you will continue to generate debris

How much oil did your lot lizard add?

• Like 3