Sign in to follow this  
Ringer

Tundra oil change.

14 minutes ago, Ringer said:

Yes. They just called and are sending a letter on Toyota letterhead that if anything happens to the engine they will guarantee it. Will be signed by the tech and the service manager.

Now I want them to change my oil. 

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Did the guys that couldn’t change oil also get furloughed? 

Some but not all i dont think

What year is your Tundra and did you or the "lot lizard" look for oil dripping by the oil filter?  Tundras, Tacomas, and 4Runners with a canister style filter instead of the old spin-on style are notorious for O-ring failures and it doesn't take long to dump several quarts of oil when it happens.  When I was an area manager for Valvoline Instant Oil Change I dealt with several cases where they lost almost all the oil shortly after an oil change.  If it makes you feel any better we never had one destroy a motor but dang it made everyone nervous.  The lab is always going to find metal shavings in an oil sample so I wouldn't put too much importance on that, but if something does go wrong having lab results will strengthen your case if it goes to court.  Get the letter saying they accept responsibility, pay attention to the truck and see how it goes.

I had to laugh at the comment about getting new wipers and then the AC not working is your fault - I had things like that happen all the time.  One person we had never seen before came in for a free windshield washer refill and a month later tried to blame a 10 year old bad battery on us. Some people just have to try I guess.

• Like 1

I really thought that the windshield wiper thing was a joke until I joined a car group on FB and I really can’t Believe some of things customers say to the service guys. 

• Like 1

One time we did an oil change and the next day the girl's engine seized on her way to work.  The tow truck driver got underneath and said the plug and filter were fine and no leaks, and the mechanic shop pulled the plug and nothing came out, which had us all thinking our tech didn't add the new oil.  I went to the shop and pulled the video which clearly showed everything had been done correctly and the tech even showed her the dipstick with her final oil level at the end of the oil change.  After going the rounds with her parents it finally came out that her neighbor had watched the girl's boyfriend drain the oil the night after the oil change in hopes that we'd be buying her a new car.  The crew at the store was never so happy to have everything on video because it would've cost them over a year worth of bonuses.

• Like 1

*not legal advice

Document, Document, Document.......

Dates, times, people on staff, circumstances, times of call, who you spoke to, document everything you can think of. Keep your receipt of course.

Expect them to say “wasn’t us”, (they may be stand up guys, but you never know) and ask for a certificate of their general liability insurance for your file. 

Although Delw’s delivery may have been off putting, the rest of his advice was spot on.

if you change your own oil next time, look for shiny stuff in your filter (that’s metal) if present photograph it. 

Maybe you made it as far as you did due to use of synthetic oil?
It will be tough to quantify the reduced engine life from the premature wear caused by no oil.

It would have been an easier (not better) conversation if your engine had seized up a mile away.

oh, if that outfit offers you free oil changes for life, you might want to pass.

This happens more than you might think, hence all of the self oil changers in this thread. 
It’s not about saving time/money, it’s about getting it done right. 
FYI you can always ask them to show you the oil level before you leave. That’s a good practice for anyone who doesn’t do their own. You can tell them that upfront so they don’t close the hood.

Good luck

We’re not all bad though. A few bad “mechanics” give a lot of good technicians a bad name. Problem is, at most dealerships and shops the straight oil changes are done by the least experienced guys. If you add a more complicated complaint (in some cases) the whole ro is completeted by a more experienced guy. Oil changes are a loss leader in most shops. Get you in the door for a cheap service and hope your truck is broken in other ways. Upsells are where money is made. Honest upsells I should say. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

I was riding with my dad after he got new tires on his 72 chevy, driving down the freeway around the 60 and rural the front right wheel fell off lol.

a cop came and stopped traffic on the freeway so my dad could run across and grab it. Was about 1993

That happened to my buddy in High School. He got all new tires and wheels and a day later a wheel took off and passed him going down the road. He worked at discount and did his own. He still blamed them and got a free repair 😂

I'm fortunate in that I have a lube shop close to me and the guy is great. I take my oil and filter to him and for $20 he does it and greases the four zerks. It saves me from having to dispose of the old oil and filter. I also take my company vehicle to him. Super nice guy. He is the only one who has made a go of it in this spot and has been there for about 5 years.

I run Mobile 1 in my truck and it takes 15 quarts so it is worth it to me.

Kind of going the other direction, but anyone notice how shops always find something wrong?

Few weeks back I had an oil change. Shop told me the fluid in my CVT tranny needed changed. I told the manager, thats funny, I had it done last week (300 miles) and WATCHED them do it, and to run his scam on someone else. He turned bright red. Ill never return to that shop again.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Kind of going the other direction, but anyone notice how shops always find something wrong?

Few weeks back I had an oil change. Shop told me the fluid in my CVT tranny needed changed. I told the manager, thats funny, I had it done last week (300 miles) and WATCHED them do it, and to run his scam on someone else. He turned bright red. Ill never return to that shop again.

Same thing happened to me, but they told me I needed a tranny service

11 minutes ago, wish2hunt said:

Same thing happened to me, but they told me I needed a tranny service

I meant to type tranny fluid, but forgot a word apparently.

Just happened to me to at the dealer.. They told me my rear differential needed service because the oil was very dirty.  The look on his face when I told him, that is not dirt, that is purple fluid because I just changed it myself 2 weekends ago and put royal purple in it.  The back peddling and stuttering was epic. All of a sudden it wasn't dirty today, but it was dirty last time I brought it in to them.