ctafoya

1/4 mile rule

does the rule apply if you have permission? My inlaws live on the other side of the mountain from where I'm camping and they have a herd with a NICE bull every night in thier meadow 

I wish the dove hunters out back new that rule.

14 hours ago, ctafoya said:

does the rule apply if you have permission? My inlaws live on the other side of the mountain from where I'm camping and they have a herd with a NICE bull every night in thier meadow 

No. Permission lets you shoot anywhere on the property, as long as no other possibly occupied building owned by someone else is located within a 1/4 mile of the spot you shoot from.  IOW, if you are shooting along or near the property line and the neighbor's house is less than 440 yds. away on the other side, it would be illegal. You must be 1/4 mile from ANY building.

Under A.R.S. § 17-309(A)(4), it is unlawful to discharge a firearm while taking wildlife within one-fourth mile of an occupied farmhouse or other residence, cabin, lodge or building without permission of the owner or resident.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

No. Permission lets you shoot anywhere on the property, as long as no other possibly occupied building owned by someone else is located within a 1/4 mile of the spot you shoot from.  IOW, if you are shooting along or near the property line and the neighbor's house is less than 440 yds. away on the other side, it would be illegal. You must be 1/4 mile from ANY building.

Under A.R.S. § 17-309(A)(4), it is unlawful to discharge a firearm while taking wildlife within one-fourth mile of an occupied farmhouse or other residence, cabin, lodge or building without permission of the owner or resident.

Unless of course you have permission from the neighbor too...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bigorange said:

Unless of course you have permission from the neighbor too...

It's always nice to state the obvious for those whose minds work really slow. 🙄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

It's always nice to state the obvious for those whose minds work really slow. 🙄

Nice to see you haven’t lost your edge Tony!

Thanks for the replies. Waited for him yesterday and they showed up after dark. I know where they are coming down from now. 

• Like 5

We gotta get rid of that rule.  It’s worthless red tape.  

I don’t think any other state has a quarter mile archery rule.  It’s utter foolishness.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bojangles said:

I don’t think any other state has a quarter mile archery rule.  It’s utter foolishness.

This is true

• Like 3

5 hours ago, bojangles said:

Its a newer law.

I think the rule was created to keep the deer safe in rural subdivisions. Some of the deer my buddy gets on camera are pretty nice. I guess they don't want them dying in someone elses yard if they don't go right down. 🙄

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bonecollector said:

Its a newer law.

The ARCHERY rule was put in place in 2013 more for aesthetics than for safety concerns. I seem to recall the impetus came from Prescott Valley where one or more dingbats decided to pursue antelope in a developed area. One wounded a buck that wandered into an elementary school yard to die in sight of the students. I also recall a similar incident with a deer near Flagstaff but the details are fuzzy.

9 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

It was put into place in 2013 more for aesthetics than for safety concerns. I seem to recall the impetus came from Prescott Valley where one or more dingbats decided to pursue antelope in a developed area. One wounded a buck that wandered into an elementary school yard to die in sight of the students. I also recall a similar incident with a deer near Flagstaff but the details are fuzzy.

Oh ok.

I thought it was recently like in the last couple yrs. Thought it was part of the rules package when they tried to get rid of trailcameras.