ctafoya

1/4 mile rule

23 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

The ARCHERY rule was put in place in 2013 more for aesthetics than for safety concerns. I seem to recall the impetus came from Prescott Valley where one or more dingbats decided to pursue antelope in a developed area. One wounded a buck that wandered into an elementary school yard to die in sight of the students. I also recall a similar incident with a deer near Flagstaff but the details are fuzzy.

The Tucson area was another contributor to the rule, guys were bow hunting in the Tucson Mountain Preserve right around peoples backyards and shooting their pet javelina and deer. Numerous complaints each year although it was legal at that point. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bonecollector said:

Oh ok.

I thought it was recently like in the last couple yrs. Thought it was part of the rules package when they tried to get rid of trailcameras.

That is correct for the statewide law. I was referring to the rule in Prescott Valley. I also think other local towns, including Flagstaff had such a rule in place before the statewide ban was implemented.

• Like 1

Well, yeah cause all the BIG animals are in the neighborhoods where they get big safely... and then end up posed  for photos under power lines

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DUG said:

I think the rule was created to keep the deer safe in rural subdivisions. Some of the deer my buddy gets on camera are pretty nice. I guess they don't want them dying in someone elses yard if they don't go right down. 🙄

I know a guy that did exactly that. They closed the area to archery hunting even though he did nothing illegal at the tiime. People don't like seeing the neighborhood buck dying in their yard with an arrow sticking out of him.

Some of you might not have been born or were too young to remember, but some idiot used a crossbow to kill a huge bull elk on the YMCA grounds in Estes Park, Colo. about 25 years ago. Samson was the town's pet bull. Thus several states, including AZ, subsequently put heavy fines in place for illegally killing trophy type critters.  They became known as Samson's Law(s).

Oh, the horror of killing an animal

in the suburbs.  Gasp.  

back East they do it all the time, and pay people to do it if hunters don’t get it done.

should have dressed and butchered that dead antelope in front the of the kids for a social studies lesson.  Better than the crap their feeding them now.

they don’t like seeing deer get killed by hunters but they live backed up to natl forests. Their choice.

i don’t like seeing radar cameras in Star valley. So does that mean I get my way?

• Like 1

I don’t like seeing panhandlers. I don’t like to see no trespassing signs. I don’t like driving the speed limit. Catch my drift? Let the hunters fling carbon!!!!

• Like 1

It's a ridiculous law, IMO.  All they needed to enact was no archery hunting within a municipality (city/township limits).  Problem solved.     

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BOHNTR said:

It's a ridiculous law, IMO.  All they needed to enact was no archery hunting within a municipality (city/township limits).  Problem solved.     

Why no hunting in a municipality?  Kill me where you find em, as long as you’re not trespassing, I say.