Sign in to follow this  
4huntrs

Elk Rut

Just got home from scouting. Found 1 bull  that was screaming for 2 hours nonstop. He sounded like a rusty car door opening. He was checking his cows but none were impressed by him. Was fun to watch and listen he would respond to anything. Couple other really small bulls way off by themselves. Seemed like bulls are waiting and cows not ready. Dog happy to see me home. Everybody else asleep. 

• Like 1

Saw 2 herds yesterday In Alpine of 50 plus cows, one herd had a small satellite bull in it and the other had a 320”-330” bull. Both herds were like 6 miles apart. I tried to stock another very small group had like a 280”-300” bull but they gave me the slip. 

Spent the last 2 weeks scouting about 9 days off and on. The heat would force me home every couple days. The rut seemed like it was over. Very few bulls bugleing. I keeped running into another hunter all over the unit. We were looking at a lot of the same country. We shared a lot of info and he told me about a specific bull he was after. Wednesday night we were back in the same Canyon and after dark he stopped to talk. He told me he had found his bull. I let him know with that being said we would not be hunting that canyon and would head for a different area. As a unsolicited thank you he gave me info on another bull. My son found the bull the next morning and again in the evening. A friend spent the night at the glassing point. About 3 am myself and the crew show up and we occupy 3 vantage points.  At first light were in shooting position and here comes the bull. As other hunters arrive and park next to us and walk on out the cows spook and away goes the bull. Public land has its frustrations but Has way more pros than cons. Heading back to the truck I’m informed that a friend has spotted another bull. Off we go and the chase is on. Our friend calling turns this bull around at about a half mile. Not sure what he said but at about a quarter mile the bull starts running in. We get set up quickly and the bull showed up at 35 yards. My son shoots the smoke clears the bull walks about 25 yds and falls over. I have to thank everyone that helped glass, pack and occupy real estate. Adam, Jim, Jim Bob, Bobby, Colt.The successful hunts myself and my boys have had over the years is a large part because of you. And a special thanks to Mike. I hope to hear soon you need help packing.

B9C9FD01-F5A3-414A-B57A-8E2563DAE606.jpeg

• Like 12

30 minutes ago, 4huntrs said:

Spent the last 2 weeks scouting about 9 days off and on. The heat would force me home every couple days. The rut seemed like it was over. Very few bulls bugleing. I keeped running into another hunter all over the unit. We were looking at a lot of the same country. We shared a lot of info and he told me about a specific bull he was after. Wednesday night we were back in the same Canyon and after dark he stopped to talk. He told me he had found his bull. I let him know with that being said we would not be hunting that canyon and would head for a different area. As a unsolicited thank you he gave me info on another bull. My son found the bull the next morning and again in the evening. A friend spent the night at the glassing point. About 3 am myself and the crew show up and we occupy 3 vantage points.  At first light were in shooting position and here comes the bull. As other hunters arrive and park next to us and walk on out the cows spook and away goes the bull. Public land has its frustrations but Has way more pros than cons. Heading back to the truck I’m informed that a friend has spotted another bull. Off we go and the chase is on. Our friend calling turns this bull around at about a half mile. Not sure what he said but at about a quarter mile the bull starts running in. We get set up quickly and the bull showed up at 35 yards. My son shoots the smoke clears the bull walks about 25 yds and falls over. I have to thank everyone that helped glass, pack and occupy real estate. Adam, Jim, Jim Bob, Bobby, Colt.The successful hunts myself and my boys have had over the years is a large part because of you. And a special thanks to Mike. I hope to hear soon you need help packing.

B9C9FD01-F5A3-414A-B57A-8E2563DAE606.jpeg

Great ending! Congrats to all involved.  Nice to see some mutual respect among hunters on both sides here and its awesome it all worked out. Hope the other guy got his bull too.

• Like 2