Sign in to follow this  
GreyGhost85

Time to cross UPS off the list

7 minutes ago, nateNAU said:

Get a label maker, print a label and drop off your package. Eliminates dealing with stupid people.

Excellent suggestion. I use Clip n' Ship online with the USPS to send most of my packages. It cost nothing other than normal postal rates and even provides tracking numbers. I just print out the labels and put the packages out for the mailman. I believe UPS also has such a service online. 

1 hour ago, Outdoor Writer said:

It shouldn't matter. Their contract with UPS means they operate under the same basic rules. Otherwise the private stores would be able to invoke all sorts of rules and prices. The problem seems more of an interpretation of the actual rule, i.e. what a scope is, by the individuals involved. 

Of course it does. It's a private business. 

What ever it may be,  their rules have been consistent, and they have the right to set those rules, whether we agree or not.  I once took a package to them just to have them package it (erudite in a case) and they about flipped out. 

1 minute ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

What ever it may be,  their rules have been consistent, and they have the right to set those rules, whether we agree or not.  I once took a package to them just to have them package it (erudite in a case) and they about flipped out. 

LoL I had the local store owner get mad at me for bringing in a drop-off item for work, already packed and boxed and asked him to tape the box since I’d run out of packing tape at home. “That’s like taking your own sandwich in to Subway and asking for lettuce and cheese to put on it.” But then he didn’t want to sell me a roll of tape to tape it myself...just wanted to complain I guess. 

27 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

I have no idea what "erudite" is. Nonetheless I'm now done with this topic. So the last word is yours to utter. 

"Here are just a few of the benefits of being a franchisee with The UPS Store, Inc.:

The UPS Store, Inc. helps its franchisees get their business started by providing, to qualified franchisees, certain financing options, helping approve your site and assisting with lease negotiations.
Franchisees get to be their own boss and control the daily operations of their store, subject to compliance with brand standards imposed by The UPS Store, Inc. <<this is UPS)
Franchise owners get access to professional marketing materials and campaigns designed to help increase brand awareness and ultimately drive customers to the franchisees’ doors.
Franchisees have access to our established business model and extensive selection of innovative products, services and business solutions.
Since they’re locally owned, franchise locations have the feel of a small business connected with the local community but with the name recognition and established reputation of a world-renowned brand."

"As a UPS Store franchise owner, you might wonder how much freedom you have. Robertson insists that it’s very much up to each individual store owner to make a success of their franchise business.

You aren’t taking orders from the franchise headquarters. “Yes, you have to follow certain rules, such as how a store is laid out and the products and services you sell in it. And you pay a small royalty to the franchisor.” But aside from that, it’s really all on the individual owner, he added.

The UPS Store franchise headquarters offers conventions and training sessions for people like Robertson and his staff. Speakers give advice on business topics ranging from engaging with your community to maximizing profits.

The networking potential between UPS Store franchise owners at these events is priceless, he added."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GreyGhost85 said:

I have a Leupold scope that i need to send in for repair. I went to the UPS store on Higley/Pecos on Friday to ship it to them. The girl at the counter asked me what was in the box (original packaging) and i told her "optics". She asked "what kind of optics" and i said a scope. She asked if it was possible to mount it to a firearm and i said yeah. At that point she told me "we cannot ship gun parts that can be assembled into a weapon and kill people". I told her she was crazy in more or less terms and informed her that i receive ammo and gun part shipments via-ups all the time and asked to speak to the manager. The manager comes out (a +- 25 year old soy boy that looks like he spends his nights "protesting") and asks me the same questions. I opened the box and he jumped back like it was a bomb and he started getting pretty mouthy and was treating me like i was a criminal and trying to get away with something illegal. There were several other customers in the store that were getting uneasy as well because i was a big, bad gun owner trying to assemble parts into a weapon of mass destruction. At that point i told he/she/him/her/zer/zim, whatever the f@ck they considered themselves to go f@ck themselves and walked out. Unbelievable what this world is coming to. USPS came out in support of Biden and now UPS won't ship gun parts? I guess that leaves me with Fed-Ex. I'm guessing this is a franchised store that made up this rule and not a national policy but they won't be getting any more of my business. 

I work for UPS and I have never heard about this.

I understand that companies have policies that i may not agree with and at that point I can chose whether or not to continue doing business with them. What I will not stand for is being treated like a criminal and talked to like i am a radical by a couple of punk kids that have no idea what they are talking about. The box cutter the brawd was using was a LOT more dangerous than my fully automatic rifle scope with machine gun clips and heat seeking capabilities. I dropped it off at Fedex today without any issues. They knew what it was and had no complaints. 

• Like 6

Pajama boy activist at its insufferable best.

Were you shipping to BLM HQ, they'd have no issues.

• Like 2

The UPS Store is a franchise privately owned business. The contract between the franchisee and UPS states that the store can not ship fire arms or parts or the franchisee will lose their store/investment. There are multiple reasons for this, theft of firearms due to lack of security, multiple confusing laws regarding shipping are 2 major ones. 
Some owners take the rule too far and that is what many of you have experienced. Low IQ cashiers who cannot think for them selves make this worse.

You could go online, print a label, and drop that same scope at the same Store with no issue. In that case be sure to get a receipt that you dropped it off.

Yes UPS ships firearms & ammo, but not the same as a store. I understand everyone’s frustration. This rule has been in place for over 10 years. So this isn’t due to the current anti gun attitudes of some.

i owned a UPS store and went thru the “we can’t ship your gun” routine. I would have gladly shipped firearms but the risk to my investment wasn’t worth what I would earn on that shipment. Many times I did ship precision machines parts, telescope parts, precision glass. Etc. never a fire arm or receiver. 
remember your dealing With retail & that level of employee. 
I’m not trying to defend these people, just explain why things are

this way. 

• Like 5

I shipped an Encore barrel to AK last week via a UPS store. Other than being expensive it was a pretty easy transaction, I told the dude what it was and he said “let’s call it a metal rod.” 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Siwash said:

I shipped an Encore barrel to AK last week via a UPS store. Other than being expensive it was a pretty easy transaction, I told the dude what it was and he said “let’s call it a metal rod.” 

Ive never had problems here in vista, the black dude and taller slightly heavy set always have great customer service.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2020 at 8:25 AM, GreyGhost85 said:

She asked if it was possible to mount it to a firearm and i said yeah. At that point she told me "we cannot ship gun parts that can be assembled into a weapon and kill people".

By that definition I guess they can’t ship a toothbrush either, with duct tape you can mount anything to anything and anything can be fashioned into a weapon. 
At a certain point, what is that phrase about arguing with an idiot? 

Ridiculous.  I can't remember where and what I last shipped but I do remember it being quite unusual that I was asked what was being shipped?  I think it was some equipment for work.  That said, I was caught very off guard.  And so be ready for more bs along these lines.  Absolutely ridiculous.

13 hours ago, lonne said:

Ridiculous.  I can't remember where and what I last shipped but I do remember it being quite unusual that I was asked what was being shipped?  I think it was some equipment for work.  That said, I was caught very off guard.  And so be ready for more bs along these lines.  Absolutely ridiculous.

FEDX always asks me what I am shipping.

• Like 1