Elkchaser

Input wanted - Hunting with a 10 year old

1 hour ago, trp171 said:

she has a 23 tag!!!!!!!! looking for a good mule deer buck!!

Also my daughter's last youth hunt, same tag.

You guys gonna be at the ada camp?

We will most likely be camped down the road for the main camp. but plan on stopping in to say hello!

• Like 1

One of the best threads on here in awhile.  I have 3 young boys and their was some great information shared!  My oldest just killed his first javelina and after he took the shot he ask me if i was shaking too.  Priceless.  

• Like 6

Lots of good info here! Including them in all the aspects of the hunt are important. They need to be part of it and struggle a bit, but most importantly they have fun!!  We just got back from a youth hunting trip, there were two things I noticed that we could have done different this past season that would have made a big difference.

1. Make sure their hunting/hiking boots fit and are comfortable. Worst thing you can do is let them put old boots on from last season or hand me downs that don't fight right. Have them break them in or even wear their shoes to school before the hunt. One way to ruin the hunt quickly is with sore feet. Sportsman's or Big 5 are great places to look for kids hiking boots.

2. Make sure they can shoot in different positions and are comfortable with shooting. Nothing worse than having to track a wounded animal. After all this is one part of the hunt that has little margin for error. Accuracy is paramount when hunting.....even with kids!!

Also, Camping in a group or letting them take a sibling cousin or friend can make it a lot more enjoyable.

• Like 3

Been doing a lot of evening glassing. Bringing my youngster with me. Been taking the pellet gun and some little targets with me anf making him shoot while I glass. Just getting him used to finding the targets. Just a small thing you can do and cheaper then riring rounds, especially right now.

• Like 2

Well... We had a great hunt but did not bring home an elk. I had family come down from Idaho to help as well as a good hunting buddy. We ventured out on foot to glass in the mornings and sat water in the evenings to give him a break. Found two herds of cows during the hunt but both times we were not able to get him set up in time before they disappeared. Surprisingly we had no cows come into water on our evening sits. I had cows coming in almost every morning and evening on my cams but that all changed during the hunt. Oh well, that's hunting. And of course, had multiple opportunities to whack a bull on his hunt which never fails when you have a cow tag. When I asked him what his favorite part about the hunt was, he told me getting to spend time with his aunt and uncle from Idaho. It was a successful trip. Up next, 36A coues and javelina!

• Like 4

On 9/25/2020 at 8:14 AM, trp171 said:

she has a 23 tag!!!!!!!! looking for a good mule deer buck!!

How’d it go? 

• Like 1

We saw lots of Bucks one real nice 3x4, had a tough time finding in the scope!

still a great hunt with my little girl!!!

• Like 1

Remember they get cold alot quicker then us, include them in your decisions and conversations on where to hunt and why. When they feel to be a little more of an equal then at home they will open up and you'll have a totally new relationship with your Young man or Lady.. Remember there gonna be packing your Kills out soon, train them right. Its not just a snack fest. And someone mentioned before, make sure there clothes and boots fit and hand warmers are a must. Oh ya let them help glass, its amazing what young and untrained eyes can see. And look when they say they see something, you'll be amazed. Enjoy the time it goes fast. Like hunting with Dad..

• Like 1