bowhunter-tw

Did I screw up? ... brass cleaning

I read/watched you can clean brass with dish soap, hot water, salt, and vinegar. Did exactly what they showed for just under 30 min and the brass looks like this.... is this brass un-useable now?

287E8275-BF8B-4CAA-A666-B624A02E1B86.jpeg

2C446187-434C-46EF-80E1-BDBF7FBA53D7.jpeg

It’s fine, just ugly. Use it as-is or throw it in a tumbler if you want it to be shiny. 

That stuff is jacked. Throw it away. (BTW what is your address and when is garage day?)

As stated above it is fine. Any tumbler or polishing method will shine it up like new. If you don't care about fugly brass load em up.

Call it "custom brass finish" and sell it for big $ to the man bun militia groups....

14 minutes ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

Call it "custom brass finish" and sell it for big $ to the man bun militia groups....

If only it was 6.5 creedmoor.. 😂

I don't mind how it looks, I was just worried it was going to blow up in my face.

thanks guys!

The vinegar attacked the brass and could've etched the case to the point it may have compromised the strength. You can dissolve brass with vinegar if  left in contact for extended periods of time. It should clean up in a tumbler but it may require some polishing with steel wool to remove the severely etched surfaces.

• Like 1

Get a packet of good 'ol koolaid, any flavor will do but orange seems to work best, dissolve it in a pint or so of water, put your brass in a suitable container (plastic) and cover with the koolaid you can add a little more water if need be, it will safely take the tarnish off, soak longer if need be ...rinse an dry.

been using this method for cleaning range brass for 30 years or better...

2 hours ago, Hoofnit said:

Get a packet of good 'ol koolaid, any flavor will do but orange seems to work best, dissolve it in a pint or so of water, put your brass in a suitable container (plastic) and cover with the koolaid you can add a little more water if need be, it will safely take the tarnish off, soak longer if need be ...rinse an dry.

been using this method for cleaning range brass for 30 years or better...

Makes you wonder the crap that’s in cool-aid!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Makes you wonder the crap that’s in cool-aid!

Just don't drink the kool aid and you'll be fine.😉

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 25-06 said:

Just don't drink the kool aid and you'll be fine.😉

Haven’t had cool/kool aid since I was a kid! Now a days I see that cup of sugar in 2 quarts of water and say...... F!! That!! I’ll get diabetes from cheap whiskey instead!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Haven’t had cool/kool aid since I was a kid! Now a days I see that cup of sugar in 2 quarts of water and say...... F!! That!! I’ll get diabetes from cheap whiskey instead!

No joke, I always have a pitcher of Koolaid in my fridge.  Always have a Hydro filled with it too.  Less sugar than soda.

Also, no joke, my nickname to my granddaughter is "Papa Koolaid".  Every time I see her, first thing she does is give me a big hug, second thing she does is asks me for a drink of my Koolaid.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

No joke, I always have a pitcher of Koolaid in my fridge.  Always have a Hydro filled with it too.  Less sugar than soda.

Also, no joke, my nickname to my granddaughter is "Papa Koolaid".  Every time I see her, first thing she does is give me a big hug, second thing she does is asks me for a drink of my Koolaid.

The only thing I drink right now because of medical issues is Country Time Lemonade. We buy the large cans at Costco. 

• Like 1