Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Carolina Reaper

I’m growing them. 
very difficult and need much attention but I’ve got 3 big fruits on one of my plants that are still green and about 40 little BB sized ones on their way. 
this is my very first attempt at growing them and been following puckerbutts method of growing them. 
they are sloooow. 

I buy dried ghosts and reapers from ghostpepperstore.com and puckerbutt outside of harvest season and fresh ones in Aug/sept when they are available. I just got these last week....  I’ve found it’s just easier to have other people grow them and buy em.  I love peppers!

357212A8-6E95-4F4E-9B1E-9D63C04B83AB.jpeg

Add a few to my pickled eggs.... whoooo buddy!

7EA8A5E6-1D5C-47F1-9E51-2629BCDA7D1B.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curtis Reed said:

I buy dried ghosts and reapers from ghostpepperstore.com and puckerbutt outside of harvest season and fresh ones in Aug/sept when they are available. I just got these last week....  I’ve found it’s just easier to have other people grow them and buy em.  I love peppers!

357212A8-6E95-4F4E-9B1E-9D63C04B83AB.jpeg

Add a few to my pickled eggs.... whoooo buddy!

7EA8A5E6-1D5C-47F1-9E51-2629BCDA7D1B.jpeg

Omg, would you share the recipe?

37 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Omg, would you share the recipe?

I can fit a doz eggs in a quart jar...

- Bring pot of water to boil and drop eggs into boiling water and boil for 12 minutes. After 12 min put eggs in ice water bath for a minute. Peel immediately (easier to peel) and rinse off eggs.

- In the empty quart mason jar (wide mouth works best) put 2 tbsp salt, 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp minced garlic, 1 tbsp minced onion, 1 tbsp red pepper flakes, 1 tbsp peppercorns, juice from 1/2 lime and fill the jar about 1/3 full with white 5% vinegar. If you like it hotter (like I do), add dried ghost or reaper flakes and/or fresh hot peppers.

- Add all the hardboiled, peeled eggs into jar. Once jar is full of eggs, fill the jar to the top with 5% white vinegar. Wipe top of jar clean, and put lid/screw top on and rinse jar off.

Keep it on the counter at room temp for a few days before eating. Will keep at room temp for a week or two. The jar will be empty before they go bad! (they don’t really ever go bad.  Bars keep pickled eggs on shelves for loooong time).  If you put in fridge they will probably last longer, but they get firm, so I keep mine in pantry when I make them.  

- Eat a pickled egg with a cold beer!

Best part is that it is a healthy, high protein snack. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Curtis Reed said:

I can fit a doz eggs in a quart jar...

- Bring pot of water to boil and drop eggs into boiling water and boil for 12 minutes. After 12 min put eggs in ice water bath for a minute. Peel immediately (easier to peel) and rinse off eggs.

- In the empty quart mason jar (wide mouth works best) put 2 tbsp salt, 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp minced garlic, 1 tbsp minced onion, 1 tbsp red pepper flakes, 1 tbsp peppercorns, juice from 1/2 lime and fill the jar about 1/3 full with white 5% vinegar. If you like it hotter (like I do), add dried ghost or reaper flakes and/or fresh hot peppers.

- Add all the hardboiled, peeled eggs into jar. Once jar is full of eggs, fill the jar to the top with 5% white vinegar. Wipe top of jar clean, and put lid/screw top on.

Keep it on the counter at room temp for a few days before eating. Will keep at room temp for a week or two. The jar will be empty before they go bad!  If you put in fridge they will probably last longer, but they get firm, so I keep mine in pantry when I make them.  

- Eat a pickled egg with a cold beer!

Best part is that it is a healthy, high protein snack. 

Thanks man!

I have been wanting to make some pickled eggs for awile now.   We bought some chickens this spring, better start seeing some eggs or ole Kevs gonna be eating more chicken.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CatfishKev said:

Thanks man!

I have been wanting to make some pickled eggs for awile now.   We bought some chickens this spring, better start seeing some eggs or ole Kevs gonna be eating more chicken.  

Make some and post the results!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

You nerds are crazy!! A touch of Tabasco on my eggs is as hot as I get.

Haha. 
yeah I love hot things, I have to be honest though have never tried the Carolina reaper yet. 
I will soon though. Lol

the hottest I’ve had is the ghost pepper and I managed that fairly easily. 

tabasco on my eggs is awesome. 
love it. 

yeah, I’m a nerd. 
lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, muledeerarea33? said:

You nerds are crazy!! A touch of Tabasco on my eggs is as hot as I get.

Try it sometime and you’ll get a “pepper high” which is a real thing.  Endorphin rush after the burn is gone.  But you need to build tolerance... don’t jump right into downing a reaper!!  That would equal panic mode.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Curtis Reed said:

Try it sometime and you’ll get a “pepper high” which is a real thing.  Endorphin rush after the burn is gone.  But you need to build tolerance... don’t jump right into downing a reaper!!  That would equal panic mode.  

Since my health kick the past few months I’ve been eating hotter stuff. But chili tears me up! I like horse radish and wasabi instead. Hot burn that dissipates quickly.

On 9/16/2020 at 6:57 PM, Curtis Reed said:

Make some and post the results!

Mommas making some now... cant wait.  She always makes red beet eggs and deviled eggs but this is the first time trying pickled eggs!  Hopefully they last til next week for the kids unit 23 hunt.

I haven’t seen pickled eggs since I was a kid...was scared of them back then too. 😂

Reminds me of a book I read...torture interrogation involved instilling a ghost pepper solution into the guy’s bladder then injecting it IV until the guy died. That’s about how I feel about reapers and ghost peppers!