Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

Baja/Sea of Cortez pandemic Autumn

are there pangeros that will take gringos out in lobos, cholla, guaymas?   not a single one in Kino-seems strange.....

also very interested in the santa rosalia ferry-does anyone have any experience with it?

lee

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

trouble at mag bay?  somethings not right with this.  the regional coastal areas involved are part of the gulf of ulloa.

More dead sea lions, turtles found on

Baja Sur beach

183 sea lions have been found dead this month in Comondú

By Susy Buchanan

NEWS FROM BAJA CALIFORNIA SUR

Published on Friday, September 18, 2020

8SHARES

More dead sea lions have turned up in the same area where 137 sea lions washed up on the beach earlier this month in Baja California Sur.

In San Juanico, Comondú, the bodies of 21 sea lions were discovered last week, some clinging to life before bleeding out from their snouts.

This brings the number of dead sea lions to 183 this month alone, BCS Noticias reports.

The fishermen who discovered the bodies say there were no marks from nets or boat propellers, so no official cause of death has been determined. 

A total of 351 loggerhead turtles have also been found dead from January to June this year in the same area, more than in all of 2019, the Center for Biological Diversity and the Mexican Center for Environmental Law report.

The non-profit organizations say that under Mexican regulations, if more than 90 turtles die commercial fishing with gillnets and longlines must be suspended for the rest of the year.

Last year 331 loggerhead turtles, 10 dolphins, 15 sea lions, 131 black sea turtles, eight olive ridley turtles and six whales were found dead on beaches along the Gulf of Ulloa.

• Wow! 1

spent $1000 on kids b'day trip out of h&m on a 2.5 day.  totals less than 100 fish, big fish 14lbs, most under 5lbs.  the allure will never leave but thats it for me. 

gonna go check out kino bay, look for a shack to buy, maybe get a panga.

lee

• Wow! 1

4 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Those sea lions deserve to die and I hope they burn in heck. 

It seems a lot of dead ones are floating up on the beach in Mexico.

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

Those sea lions deserve to die and I hope they burn in heck. 

Sea Lions should be removed from the MMPA. I get the save the whales thing, but those things are different and have made a comeback and then some. Time to start managing them, like last century.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, biglakejake said:

spent $1000 on kids b'day trip out of h&m on a 2.5 day.  totals less than 100 fish, big fish 14lbs, most under 5lbs.  the allure will never leave but thats it for me. 

gonna go check out kino bay, look for a shack to buy, maybe get a panga.

lee

Sounds like fishing has been a little hit or miss for some boats. Sorry about the slow trip for the Birthday boy Lee. Good luck in old Mexico!

• Like 1