Sign in to follow this  
Outdoor Writer

AND...The Winner is....

2 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

That bear caught up to him really quick!

Yeah. I didn't realize a grizz could swim that well. Plus, it sure knew where to bite to immobilize the elk. 

Yeah, thought there was enough distance for him to get outta town. That river trick might have worked for him with wolves in the past but looks like it made the griz’s job a little easier. 

I've probably passed that spot a couple dozen times over that last 40 years or so. Hayden Valley was one of my favorite destinations for photos when I made my treks there each Sept.  

9 minutes ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

That's crazy, he didn't fight back much.

Bear was too smart. He clamped down on the spine and stayed clear of hooves and antlers. -- the elk's only defense.  Might have had a better chance on dry ground where he could attempt to shed the bear by running, etc. 

bull was lame in one hindquarter.  the cinnabar would not have played had the bull been 100%.  in the second frame i think i can see a compound fracture.

lee

6 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

bull was lame in one hindquarter.  the cinnebar would not have played had the bull been 100%.  in the second frame i think i can see a compound fracture.

lee

You're likely right. Good catch. Explains why he dipsy doodled when wading. Maybe they had tangled back up the hill earlier, huh? 

It's hard to tell if his leg was broken before or after he made it to the river. Wonder if he was trying to use the river as a escape out if it was broken before. Either way, not the ideal way to go out.