Sign in to follow this  
SwampMafia

Bull shot... what happened??

I've heard that white gas lanterns work better for trailing blood in the dark.  The blood kinda glows with it.  Worth a try if nothing else is working  Best of luck.

1 hour ago, SwampMafia said:

My uncle wounded his bull last year with a G5 right in front of me. Never recovered that one either. Would a broad head really make that much of a difference? Montec G5 seems pretty standard classic fixed. Anyone got a recommendation?? 

I did research on here when I changed broadheads.   Slick trick comes highly recommended. I'm running the magnums.   G5 did too but like I said, you have to verify that they are sharp.

10 minutes ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

Remi Warren uses Montec so im sure they work just fine, if I needed advice I would take his

Remi is sponsored by G5. He’s also shilled for wac’ems in the pass.

I would never trust a paid Endorsement

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SwampMafia said:

My uncle wounded his bull last year with a G5 right in front of me. Never recovered that one either. Would a broad head really make that much of a difference? Montec G5 seems pretty standard classic fixed. Anyone got a recommendation?? 

More to do with the angle than the broadhead.  My recommendation is take nothing but a broadside to quartering away shot with a bow.  People will crucify me for saying that.  I know tons of animals are killed every year quartering to or frontal, but that is my rule.  I killed a bull in 2013 that I watched come toward me from 100 yards.  Stood in a wallow tearing it up 27 yards away, walked to me to less than 10 yards...never better than quartering to.  I actually said to myself "Is this really going to happen?  Is he going to be this close and I don't get a shot?"  I waited and was blessed when he got nervous and jumped.  Stopped quartering away at 25 yards.  Dead bull.  Just my personal rule.  I would rather lose an opportunity than wound an animal.  Crucifying commence.

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, azelkhunter69 said:

More to do with the angle than the broadhead.  My recommendation is take nothing but a broadside to quartering away shot with a bow.  People will crucify me for saying that.  I know tons of animals are killed every year quartering to or frontal, but that is my rule.  I killed a bull in 2013 that I watched come toward me from 100 yards.  Stood in a wallow tearing it up 27 yards away, walked to me to less than 10 yards...never better than quartering to.  I actually said to myself "Is this really going to happen?  Is he going to be this close and I don't get a shot?"  I waited and was blessed when he got nervous and jumped.  Stopped quartering away at 25 yards.  Dead bull.  Just my personal rule.  I would rather lose an opportunity than wound an animal.  Crucifying commence.

I won’t crucify you. At least you have a rule you stick to

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, azelkhunter69 said:

No crucifying from me. I think it’s a good rule and admirable to have a rule that you stick with. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, oz31p said:

Remi is sponsored by G5. He’s also shilled for wac’ems in the pass.

I would never trust a paid Endorsement

Maybe I got played then I guess, like the guy and just didn’t think about that. I don’t use them myself but have heard him mention them and they were relevant to this story in some way so tossed in my comment. Don’t anyone reading this use montecs, they don’t work due to sponsoring Remi. 

• Like 1

Picking a broad head is like picking a brand of vehicle, most of the haters dont like them cause of there f'ups, or the animal getting away easy to blame a brand. lots of pigs  elk and deer were killed in Arizona using the old stamped 3 blade sheet metal $1 each broad heads with alum arrows for the simple reason they were cheap and you could fix them when they hit rocks with a file

Personally I use grime reapers cut on contact, cause the name sounds morbid and packaging and broad head the look sexy

3 hours ago, azelkhunter69 said:

I agree and will not take a frontal or quartering frontal shot on a large animal such as elk.  Too much armor.

• Like 2

Stuff happens.  Keep hunting.  At one point in time it has happens to almost all hunters even the ethical police On here.  Tell your dad to keep his chin up. 

That quartering to you is one tough shot. From what you described I would think it should be a dead bull. As far as the bh goes like a lot of others Ive heard numerous horror stories about Montecs and elk even witnessed 2 myself. Anytime an animal doesn't die right away the bh seems to be the first and easiest to blame. I will say this you put a Montec through an elk heart he'll die every time pretty sure double center lung it's dead everytime as well. I think a lot of these horror stories are do to not so great shot placement. 

Crazy story about that bull you called in. Must have been quite the rush. There's nothing like calling in a big ol bull. Good luck on the rest of the hunt and finding your dads bull.

7 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

What’s wrong with wac ems? 

Nothing...except I guess Remi Warren used to be sponsored by them too. Still means nothing wrong with them.