Sign in to follow this  
SwampMafia

Bull shot... what happened??

9 minutes ago, bigorange said:

Nothing...except I guess Remi Warren used to be sponsored by them too. Still means nothing wrong with them. 

Absolutely nothing but it’s important to remember that gear reviews on the Internet are paid sponsorships. 

Every time you see a hashtag from a celebrity or a Wanabee celebrity there was a dollar amount behind it

• Like 2

On 9/20/2020 at 10:58 AM, SwampMafia said:

My dad shot a bull last night. Rut has been absolutely insane in 5bs. The bull was quartering slightly towards him and he placed a shot that I didn’t think could be any more perfect. Low Center of mass right behind the shoulder. I knew it was a dead elk the moment it hit. We watched him run off with the herd, heard a crash, and waited 45 minutes. We got up, walked to where he was shot, found immediate blood.... not a lot of it, and that was all we found. We had 4 guys looking all last night and this morning scouring miles and not one drop of blood last where he was shot.... and no sign of him. I am absolutely blown away.... so what happened??? Montec G5 broad head and arrow went 3/4 the way in. An update on myself.... I bugled this morning and the herd bull came flying over the hill grunting at me. He ran within 5 feet of me Right at me and I actually yelled at him to stop because I was terrified😂. He backed up 20 yards broadside and I squeezed off a shot that unfortunately was deflected by the twigs I was hiding behind. Crazy times. 

I’m gonna say you should have given him 3-4 hours with that shot.  Maybe more.  He’s probably dead.  I killed a bull with that shot a couple years ago.  It took a while.  It likely hit liver, which is a slow process.  My bull I’m talking about crashed in 10 minutes, but I came back 2 hours later and he was still alive.   I had to finish him off.

Update: we found him this morning. We are going to sound like idiots... but we drive to our hunting spot, park.... something really smelled and we looked to the right and we were parked 2 feet from him. Maggots everywhere.... we cut the horns off, punched his tag, and I went after another one. His shot ended up being perfect and even broadside I wouldn’t wish for a more perfect shot... it just didn’t bleed well.... he didn’t make it more than 200 yards, however the trick was he circled back away from where we last saw him. Ended up in a ditch on the side of the road. No elk deserves to rot like that... maybe Hillary Clinton.. but not an elk. We had looked long and hard but unfortunately we came up empty last time looking for him. A definite blessing to have found him today, but sad about the meat 

• Like 10
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Glad you at least found him. Let G&F know as someone will also probably stumble across it and report it.

The snippet below the *** was recently posted by AGFD and forwarded on FB. I made the fiollowing comment:

"It would be interesting to know HOW it was killed. It could have been a legitmate harvest if wounded with an arrow during the archery hunt and later found dead with all the meat already spoiled. Thus the hunter tagged and took the antlers only."

Bull elk poached and left southeast of Pinedale

Individuals with information may be eligible for a reward of $4,000

PINETOP, Ariz — The Arizona Game and Fish Department (AZGFD) is asking for the public’s help in finding those responsible for the illegal killing of a bull elk that was killed between the evening of Sept.15 and the morning of Sept. 17, southeast of Pinedale in Game Management Unit 3C. The elk was located near Forest Road 143 approximately one half mile south of Farnsworth Ranch Road. The antlers were removed and the meat was left to waste.

“Someone may have information about this case and we need their help to apprehend those responsible,” said Arizona Game and Fish Department Wildlife Manager Eric Podoll. “At the time the poaching occurred, many hunters were in the field hunting as well as other outdoor recreationists, so it’s possible someone may have seen something or have information about this crime. This is the action of a criminal — no true sportsman would leave game in the field to rot.”

Anyone with information about this case can call the AZGFD’s Operation Game Thief hotline at (800) 352-0700 or visit www.azgfd.gov/ogt and refer to case 20-003113. Callers may remain anonymous upon request and may be eligible for an OGT reward of up to $1,500 in this case upon arrest. Arizona Elk Society has offered an additional $2,500 reward for information leading to the conviction of those responsible.

And just to be clear, out archery hunt doesn’t end till the first of October in this unit. But I will definitely report it 

• Like 1

I shot a bull low in the ribs behind front leg, this was rifle hunt and it was 180gr 30 cal at 370 yards. I just was able to track it and found him collapsed at least 250 yards up the mountain. A double lung shot with the bullet up against the far side hide. His chest was full of blood and his lungs were both collapsed. Made a big impression that bulls dead on their feet can cover some ground. Interesting your dad's bull made it about the same distance.

4 hours ago, SwampMafia said:

Update: we found him this morning. We are going to sound like idiots... but we drive to our hunting spot, park.... something really smelled and we looked to the right and we were parked 2 feet from him. Maggots everywhere.... we cut the horns off, punched his tag, and I went after another one. His shot ended up being perfect and even broadside I wouldn’t wish for a more perfect shot... it just didn’t bleed well.... he didn’t make it more than 200 yards, however the trick was he circled back away from where we last saw him. Ended up in a ditch on the side of the road. No elk deserves to rot like that... maybe Hillary Clinton.. but not an elk. We had looked long and hard but unfortunately we came up empty last time looking for him. A definite blessing to have found him today, but sad about the meat 

Hillary is more like a coyote! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SwampMafia said:

Cool that you found it, even cooler your dad Punched the tag not many people do that anymore.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, SwampMafia said:

Huge congrats! So what would you say the issue was? Broadhead sharpness or no? 

We would love to see some pics of the headgear.

On 9/20/2020 at 2:58 PM, AZLance said:

this is the 3rd bull I've heard of shot by a Montec G5 and not recovered this year...

Fourth same for me. Hit it with a montec G5 nice 5x5 45 yards. No recovery. Good shot 6b