43 minutes ago, Edge said:

Ok, you didn't mention how azgfd plugs it?

Found this, I think it's the same for AZ.

When hunters bring a legal sheep to ADFG offices, horns are sealed by inserting an aluminum plug into the horn. This method of permanently marking sheep horns has already been adopted by all other agencies managing wild sheep in North America.

My boss found one in the 90's. He took it to G&F and they put a plug in it and gave it back to him to keep. Looked about like this one. Finding a deadhead will be about the only way I will ever get one.

picking up and keeping a bighorn deadhead is illegal without reporting and  AZGF authorization the last I heard.

44 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Found a double curl Rocky dead head about 20 years ago. G&F took it to plug and never got it back. Must still be under investigation........... 

WTH  is a double curl? That would be a world record irregardless of mass due to length.  Do you mean a symmetrical   full curl?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

picking up and keeping a bighorn deadhead is illegal without reporting and  AZGF authorization the last I heard.

WTH  is a double curl? That would be a world record irregardless of mass due to length.  Do you mean a symmetrical   full curl?

Correct, full curl + extra. Found it next to a river bottom under some cliffs.

13 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

From what I read on the internet this is very likely correct. There was also the mention that sales of body parts (furs, bones, skulls) may require a AZGFD license. So many rules these days. Maybe AZGFD knows, if they don't give you the wrong info and cite you later?

19 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

I don't read any special rules for bighorn sheep. 

R12-4-322 Pickup and Possession of Wildlife Carcasses or Parts A. For the purposes of this Section, the following definitions apply: 1. “Fresh” means the majority of the wildlife carcass or part is not exposed dry bone and is comprised mainly of hair, hide, or flesh. 2. “Not fresh” means the majority of the wildlife carcass or part is exposed dry bone due to natural processes such as scavenging, decomposition, or weathering. B. If not contrary to federal law or regulation, a person may pick up and possess naturally shed antlers or horns or other wildlife parts that are not fresh without a permit or inspection by a Department law enforcement officer. C. If not contrary to federal law or regulation, a person may only pick up and possess a fresh wildlife carcass or its parts under this Section if the person notifies the Department prior to pick up and possession and: 1. The Department’s first report or knowledge of the carcass or its parts is voluntarily provided by the person wanting to possess the carcass or its parts; 2. A Department law enforcement officer or an authorized Department employee or agent is able to observe the carcass or its parts at the site where the animal was found in the same condition and location as when the animal was originally found by the person wanting to possess the carcass or its parts; and 3. A Department law enforcement officer, using the officer’s education, training, and experience, determines the animal died from natural causes. The Department may require the person to take the officer to the site where the animal carcass or parts were found when an adequate description or location cannot be provided to the officer. D. If a Department law enforcement officer determines that the person wanting to possess the carcass or its parts is authorized to do so under subsection (C), the officer may authorize possession of the carcass or its parts. E. Wildlife parts picked up and possessed from areas under control of jurisdictions that prohibit such activity, such as other states, reservations, or national parks, are illegal to possess in this state. F. This Section does not authorize the pickup and possession of a threatened or endangered species carcass or its parts.

When I drew in 2008, it was illegal to keep any dead heads found.  We came across one scouting and left it.

So much confusion. I'll add this I found just for discussion

From The Green Wolf (Thegreenwolf.com)

Screenshot_20200920-204713.png

not confusing at all if you look at the AZG&F regs( those are the ONLY ones that count.

only you are confused, your taking something from a website that paraphases what they "think" they know. Start looking at the regs, real simple to do a search.

AZG&F regs clearly States page 105 from the 2020-2021 regs

page105.jpg

26 minutes ago, Boarman03 said:

So much confusion. I'll add this I found just for discussion

From The Green Wolf (Thegreenwolf.com)

2 hours ago, Delw said:

not confusing at all if you look at the AZG&F regs( those are the ONLY ones that count.

only you are confused, your taking something from a website that paraphases what they "think" they know. Start looking at the regs, real simple to do a search.

AZG&F regs clearly States

page105.jpg

He found the skull. Since the big horn sheep was not taken (killed) by a known hunter, how does this apply? The Big Horn skull is a "dead head". 

You are definitely a peculiar being.

Oh, and you omitted that AZ State Statutes apply as well as Federal Laws, not just AGFD rules.

11 hours ago, 654321 said:

I don't read any special rules for bighorn sheep. 

R12-4-322 Pickup and Possession of Wildlife Carcasses or Parts A. For the purposes of this Section, the following definitions apply: 1. “Fresh” means the majority of the wildlife carcass or part is not exposed dry bone and is comprised mainly of hair, hide, or flesh. 2. “Not fresh” means the majority of the wildlife carcass or part is exposed dry bone due to natural processes such as scavenging, decomposition, or weathering. B. If not contrary to federal law or regulation, a person may pick up and possess naturally shed antlers or horns or other wildlife parts that are not fresh without a permit or inspection by a Department law enforcement officer. C. If not contrary to federal law or regulation, a person may only pick up and possess a fresh wildlife carcass or its parts under this Section if the person notifies the Department prior to pick up and possession and: 1. The Department’s first report or knowledge of the carcass or its parts is voluntarily provided by the person wanting to possess the carcass or its parts; 2. A Department law enforcement officer or an authorized Department employee or agent is able to observe the carcass or its parts at the site where the animal was found in the same condition and location as when the animal was originally found by the person wanting to possess the carcass or its parts; and 3. A Department law enforcement officer, using the officer’s education, training, and experience, determines the animal died from natural causes. The Department may require the person to take the officer to the site where the animal carcass or parts were found when an adequate description or location cannot be provided to the officer. D. If a Department law enforcement officer determines that the person wanting to possess the carcass or its parts is authorized to do so under subsection (C), the officer may authorize possession of the carcass or its parts. E. Wildlife parts picked up and possessed from areas under control of jurisdictions that prohibit such activity, such as other states, reservations, or national parks, are illegal to possess in this state. F. This Section does not authorize the pickup and possession of a threatened or endangered species carcass or its parts.

This was good.

Just for discussion, the questions here are;

Where was the skull found?

What are the Federal Laws regarding Big Horn Sheep?

What are the AZ State Statutes regarding Big Horn Sheep?

Are Big Horn Sheep still considered threatened or endangered?

What was the species of Big Horn? Some Big Horns I believe are currently endangered or threatened.

Pics are now gone, disappeared, vamoose.  LOL  If you post on the internet you better be dam sure that it is legal.  😷

• Like 1