U.T.A.H. Camp

How do you “close” a mountain? - Unit 33

With caution tape – duh!

I went up the Lemmon yesterday. My last trip up there was in mid-August. It was encouraging to see some of the previously closed areas now open. However, the whole mountain is basically still closed. Everything past Windy Point is still closed for “PUBLIC HEALTH and SAFTEY”.

I have the first rifle coues hunt in unit 33. I drew this as my second choice with 2 or 3 points. Hunt dates are October 16th – October 22nd.

There are lots of places still open, but my hunting areas were in the high country off of Catalina Highway. I’m confident I can find deer, but I feel like I’m settling for lower quality hunting just because I have the tag. My question is: What would you do with this tag? I have point-guard. I am 46 years old, is it worth it to use this once in a lifetime offer to recover two or three bonus points?

20200815_065701.jpg

20200815_065636.jpg

20200921_110557.jpg

20200815_070052.jpg

If your not interested in finding someplace else to hunt point guard it. Im sure someone would like to have the tag. Like you said there are still plenty of places open. I have the exact problem where I'm hunting. But looking at it as an opportunity to scout and hunt new area's and maybe some old stomping grounds. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Point guard isn’t once in a lifetime? 

No. But it can only be used once with your current BP total. If you draw again, you lose your points. Then once you start building BPs again, PG is again usable. 

• Like 1

Agree with everything above. I had wondered what might have changed up there since the announcement that some trails are open. If you don’t want to worry with finding other areas to hunt, Point Guard makes sense. I’m sure you’ll likely draw it again next year with same points. 

• Like 2

I have heard that G&F is talking to the Forrest Circus.  In the overabundance of power tripping the Forrest Circus will probably wait till the last minute and then open it.  This year blackface is good camo.  😷

• Like 1

I’m with you, don’t understand why majority of the mountain is closed. I was hoping things would look better before my hunt, but I doubt it will with only a few weeks left. Sucks that it’s closed to foot access too, not worth the fines to risk it either, but that’s just my opinion. 

9 hours ago, CraigK said:

I’m with you, don’t understand why majority of the mountain is closed. I was hoping things would look better before my hunt, but I doubt it will with only a few weeks left. Sucks that it’s closed to foot access too, not worth the fines to risk it either, but that’s just my opinion. 

I have some cameras in a few different areas I'd like to try and recover, but not willing to risk this either. Bummer. 

• Like 1

BowNut – I have been on the fence about this. I gave myself until Oct 1st to decide. Leaning toward keeping it and figuring it out.

Bonecollector, GreyGhost, Roosevelt  Mark & Outdoor Writer – Thank you for this. Obviously I was incorrect. Point-guard is definitely worth the few extra bucks.

bigorange, CouesFanatic – Unit 33 tags seem to be relatively easy to draw. Of course the mountain should be open.

ThomC – I don’t know about blackface for camo, but clown masks are necessary when dealing with Forrest Circus…lol.

Lancetkenyon – Spot on play-by-play analysis. Remember that adults were paid to put this caution tape in these burned areas.

CraigK, bigbuckclub – No way am I going to risk dealing with a ticket or fine. There’s up to a $5,000 at their discretion. I was still seeing these big white “Federal Police” trucks up there hiding out. I’d also like to see what remains of a few cameras and blinds.

25-06 – The monument is why I’ve never really hunted south of Redington or the Rincon Mountains at all…I prefer the pines and high country I guess.

A big thank you to everyone for their replies. Good luck this fall…

• Like 1

Unit # 22 is the same way after the Bush fire., & they will keep a bunch of roads closed for years.  "Habitat Restoration"  that's when the Libertarian comes out in me.

Remember when the Degree was in  "Forest Management"., with multiple use...  Now  it's "Environmental Science" with stay out.