Sign in to follow this  
broadhead

Time for the 243

For frustrating reasons I would not like to discuss, my primary deer rifle is down for now and I have a December coues tag I don’t want to turn in. Looks like it’s time to get the Model 70 243 ready to go. Planning on using Berger 95 classic hunters with H4350 or N165. I’ll be hunting 34B and am planning to keep my shots at 400 max if it’s a clean look. Wanted to ask if a lighter caliber like that presents any considerations or precautions on shots past 300 from those with experience. Last time my 243 took a deer was 20 years ago in Wisconsin hardwoods. Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

No problems with the caliber. Thousands of Coues have fallen to a well placed .243. In fact if a cartridge was created for Coues given bullet weight vs body weight the 6mm would be very high on the ideal list. 

• Like 4

Sounds good. I don’t imagine I’ll have any issues with knocking down a coues at 350 to 400 with a well placed shot then. Thanks guys. 

• Like 1

I have a few .243s my Favorite caliber next to my .300win mags. , you will have no issues with couse out wy past 400 yards providing you can do your part. got 2 lopes and a few muleys past the 400 yard range with them using Nosler ballisitc tips

• Like 1

Seems appropriate the 243 gets a shot at another deer. It’s been a long time and it punched my first tag back when I was a kid. I will always have a soft spot for the 243. 

When my son was 10 he shot a spike coues buck at 401 yds with his youth .243 

I had loaded him up some 85 grain Barnes tsx’s 

he was using a leupold vx3 3.5x10 with the cds dial. 
it was more than capable. 

a nosler partition either 100 or 95; lapua brass, 210m and a lot oF re-26. ( the load data is on the alliant powder page) i use 95 partitions more than 100

Edited by roninflag

On 10/6/2020 at 8:56 AM, roninflag said:

there are some Huge bucks in southwest wisconsin. 

That there are. Even bigger in western Wisconsin. Hunted a friend’s property a few years ago in LaCrosse County and had a real stud buck walk by just out of range but he was average at best compared to the bucks that were cruising that property. 

• Like 1