Sign in to follow this  
cactusjack

1894 Winchester 38-55

I spent the day yesterday with my uncle and rummage through his collection of lever guns.  I ordered 2 boxes of ammo for his 38-55 . Next trip down we are having a lever only day.  

Yesterday I shot my 1892 25-20. I will take it next time along with my 32-20 and my 25-35. He has a 32spl and about 6 other crazy cool rifles I'm dying to shoot.   

I wish I would have filmed yesterday,  but next trip I will. 

I just wanted to say, I love old lever guns.  That is all.  

• Like 1

I have the modern version, a 375 Winchester but I have only shot it a few times. I bet the 38-55 is a lot of fun to shoot.

• Like 1

My 2 boxes of ammo are scheduled to arrive on Monday.  In the next 2 weeks I will be letting lead fly.  

My uncle is not doing well and he enjoys shooting his old toys.  I hope keep shooting his rifles for years to come.  Im putting in for Spring Javelina, I want to get one with the 25-20.  

• Like 2

I enjoy hunting javelina with the older cartridges. To date I have used 45LC, 44-40 and 38-40 revolvers and a 32-20 and .218 Bee rifle.  I might use my 25-20 next season.

• Like 1

What? No photos? 

To those who might not know: Rio Salado has levergun silhouete matches once a month that are a ton of fun. There is a pistol caliber and a rifle caliber match run simultaniously so you can participate in one or both depending on what rifles you have.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, brent said:

What? No photos? 

To those who might not know: Rio Salado has levergun silhouete matches once a month that are a ton of fun. There is a pistol caliber and a rifle caliber match run simultaniously so you can participate in one or both depending on what rifles you have.

Open sights?

1 hour ago, brent said:

Yes, open sights only I beleive. Standing, 10 shots at 4 different ranges. 

THanks. Do you know what the distances are. I used to shoot HP Silhouette in the 90's?

On 9/25/2020 at 4:52 PM, PRDATR said:

THanks. Do you know what the distances are. I used to shoot HP Silhouette in the 90's?

There are three classes of levergun silhouette. I shot it once or twice years ago, then you started on chickens or which ever animal and kept on shooting til you were done with no break between relays. It was June or July when I shot the match with a Winchester 94 20 inch barrel, could have cooked meat on the barrel after it was over. It is run different now. If you want more info go to Rio's web site and the Match Directors info is there.

Screenshot_20200928-111521~2.png

• Like 1