Sign in to follow this  
PowellSixO

Why??

There are plenty of respectable people out there on side by sides, so I don’t want people to think this is a bash. There are plenty of douche bags in trucks too. But I did want to share something I learned this hunt. I was in elk every single day. If I had a caller, it would have ended very different. Doing this stuff solo is tough. But after being inside of 50 yards on a bull every day on this hunt, I got to see elk behavior like I never have before. Every morning I was up and in my spot listening to bugles an hour before the sun came up. This usually consisted of a 1-3 mile hike. And that was just to get in place to start chasing. Every morning something else would also happen. Just before light the majestic sound of bugles all around, would stop at the sound of a side by side. You can hear those things a dang mile away!! They are not elk magnets. The elk actually shut up, and move away from the sound. It’s amazing. As soon as the side by side noise would disappear, a single mew would fire everything right back up. So maybe this will help someone, or maybe no one will care, but elk respond to your rig. Loud trucks same thing. But the quiet vehicles never had quite the same response. It was cool to experience. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

It looks like the chick has her phone up taking a selfie of them as they go through.

These idiots are the type that get things banned and roads/forests closed. Same mentality as those that look at barricades as "obstacle course features" and not DO NOT ENTER statements.

I bet that video is on some form of social media somewhere... that sucks man.

But congratulations on a successful hunt! Great shooting as well,  how far did he go after the shot?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HyNoon said:

I bet that video is on some form of social media somewhere... that sucks man.

But congratulations on a successful hunt! Great shooting as well,  how far did he go after the shot?

Thanks. He went 40 yards. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stupid people. 

We like to camp near forest lakes and the kids like to play near a water hole that is near a road. The tank has a berm on the back side that the sxs guys like to ride around on. Last trip out some SxS guys told my kids they couldn't play there and they needed to move so they could ride there. They literally drive last a sign that says no motorized vehicles to ride this berm. The kids piled a bunch of rocks and logs up on the berm after, and some jeep dudes came along and moved it all to drive the berm. 

One dude did drive his jeep through the water hole like you picture you posted but they caught his plate and were sending him a ticket. 

Stupid people think they can just do what they want, and dont respect nature. 

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

11 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

Stupid people. 

We like to camp near forest lakes and the kids like to play near a water hole that is near a road. The tank has a berm on the back side that the sxs guys like to ride around on. Last trip out some SxS guys told my kids they couldn't play there and they needed to move so they could ride there. They literally drive last a sign that says no motorized vehicles to ride this berm. The kids piled a bunch of rocks and logs up on the berm after, and some jeep dudes came along and moved it all to drive the berm. 

One dude did drive his jeep through the water hole like you picture you posted but they caught his plate and were sending him a ticket. 

Stupid people think they can just do what they want, and dont respect nature. 

The best part is they are a bunch of cowards. They can try and bully a bunch of 5-10 year old kids to move, but once a grown man started walking over there to say something the left real fast. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

That is why I carry at least 2 arrows with rubber blunts on them....

We were in a caribou hunting camp next to Alaska's Mulchatna River. One of my hunting partners was playing with his bow, shooting rubber blunts at stumps. He accidentally hit a Coleman cooler, and the arrow nearly penetrated both sides, just stopping from pasing through the second side at the fletching. I'm guessing a blunt would do some serious damage to a human. 

59 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

We were in a caribou hunting camp next to Alaska's Mulchatna River. One of my hunting partners was playing with his bow, shooting rubber blunts at stumps. He accidentally hit a Coleman cooler, and the arrow nearly penetrated both sides, just stopping from pasing through the second side at the fletching. I'm guessing a blunt would do some serious damage to a human. 

It’s meant to be more than a mean word

It’s always going to be the non hunters that do this stuff.  They don’t know any better.  I don’t think they’re trying to be mean and disrespectful, it’s just that they don’t know what to do except to drive around and explore.  I have one friend that thinks those side by sides are awesome.  He would do the same thing.  If he knew he was screwing someone up, he would stop.   But he’s a city boy just like all of them and doesn’t think about the peace and quiet the outdoors deserve.  

10 minutes ago, Saguaro said:

It’s always going to be the non hunters that do this stuff.  They don’t know any better.  I don’t think they’re trying to be mean and disrespectful, it’s just that they don’t know what to do except to drive around and explore.  I have one friend that thinks those side by sides are awesome.  He would do the same thing.  If he knew he was screwing someone up, he would stop.   But he’s a city boy just like all of them and doesn’t think about the peace and quiet the outdoors deserve.  

There are plenty of hunters that do this crap too. You can blanket statement it and say it is only non-hunters. 

You’re probably right, I just haven’t seen them as much.  Maybe it’s where I hunt.  I am not usually in the pines, I’m in the high desert and it’s unusual to see any side by sides where I go.  The high country attracts a lot of people, the desert not so much.  The atv’s I see are usually parked at the jumping off point and not running around.  I’ll hear them in the morning and evening if I hear them at all.