codyhuntsaz

ATV Mechanic

Few questions about a fluid leak. I know NOTHING about working on vehicles so forgive me if I use the wrong terminology. I have a pretty substantial fluid leak on my 2000 Yamaha Big Bear quad. I can’t find where it’s coming from. It’s most noticeable after driving it because the quad smokes from the fluid hitting the hot exhaust. In the red circles are bushings that I think the fluid is coming from, hitting the exhaust directly behind them. And dripping down onto the skid plate below. If that’s the case, what type of fluid would that be? If that’s even where it’s coming from. Also....the yellow circled items....gas constantly drips from that line. So much so that I keep it plugged with a bolt. If left unplugged it will just constantly drop. What is it and how do I stop it.

2A71AE5E-4DB5-4508-85D5-24562AA651C2.jpeg

215BBE39-5CEF-4B48-A1EE-62ABCC173857.jpeg

7A4F07F6-11DF-4C35-B0B1-C31991A01940.jpeg

0C07A18F-2120-4781-8CEE-111333425D73.jpeg

1 minute ago, trphyhntr said:

Flex capacitor. Cost ya about three fifty 

Is that the Chinese version of the FLUX capacitor, Doc Brown says can get me one for $88.

The yellow circle is the fuel overflow line. I think the problem is your carb float is stuck.  If that the problem (hard to diagnose just by photo) then try running some Seafoam through the carb by adding it to fuel. Common problem with storing ATV for long periods of time without draining fuel first or adding stabilizer. Take that bolt out. It is designed to drain excess fuel.  Easy to rebuild a carb if you need it. 

The red circle looks like your tie rods. There shouldn’t be any fluid on those except for maybe grease in the rubber boots which look pretty trashed. The leak is most likely coming from above that area or is old grease from the boot.  Just my guess. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Curtis Reed said:

The red circle looks like your tie rods. There shouldn’t be any fluid in those except for maybe grease in the rubber boots which look pretty trashed. The leak is most likely coming from above that area or is old grease from the boot.  Just my guess. 

With the little bit that I do know, I didn’t think there should be any fluids in those. 

Just now, codyhuntsaz said:

With the little bit that I do know, I didn’t think there should be any fluids in those. 

Yeah, those don't hold fluid, just grease.  The fluid has to be coming from above somewhere.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

agreed. The fluid is coming from above.

What color is the fluid and what does it smell like?

Does it taste bitter?

Looks and feels like engine oil, same texture too. Didn’t taste it. 

As Curtis said, Your gas leak is most likely from the float valve not seating due to buildup from letting gas sit in the carb. seafoam could clean it but might need a carb kit if the little rings have hardened. very easy to do.

You need to check that your differentials are not leaking from somewhere. That oil is very much like engine oil. Given the location it very well could be.

Just track the fluid if you can. Fluid can run horizontal or along lines too. So it could be coming from something several feet away from where it is dripping.

Engine oil leaks are not uncommon in old bikes. seals just get old. most of the time not worth rebuilding or even putting a new seal on. But for sure try to trace it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Curtis Reed said:

The yellow circle is the fuel overflow line. I think the problem is your carb float is stuck.  If that the problem (hard to diagnose just by photo) then try running some Seafoam through the carb by adding it to fuel. Common problem with storing ATV for long periods of time without draining fuel first or adding stabilizer. Take that bolt out. It is designed to drain excess fuel.  Easy to rebuild a carb if you need it. 

Isnt that the line to drain the carb? If that lines leaking just turn the screw in clockwise no?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Isnt that the line to drain the carb? If that lines leaking just turn the screw in clockwise no?

Nope, that is the overflow (it could be the drain point too?) Here’s a video for the OP explaining what his problem likely is:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

My son's TRx Honda 250r is doing the same thing. The carb needs rebuilt.  We ordered it but just an empty package showed up with no carb kit.  Have to reorder it.  Cheap too, like 15 bucks. Told him he needs to turn his gas valve to off and run it until it the carb runs out of gas if it going to sit for a while so it doesn't get build up.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, northAZarcher said:

My son's TRx Honda 250r is doing the same thing. The carb needs rebuilt.  We ordered it but just an empty package showed up with no carb kit.  Have to reorder it.  Cheap too, like 15 bucks. Told him he needs to turn his gas valve to off and run it until it the carb runs out of gas if it going to sit for a while so it doesn't get build up.

I turned the gas off 2 weeks ago and let it idle till it died, went back to our cabin this past weekend and it was still leaking gas, that’s why I put the bolt in, to stop the leak.