Sign in to follow this  
PelaPapas

Any tips/tricks for boots?

So recently by danner pronghorns have been hurting me on my heels. Which is weird because they have never hurt me in the past. Being that my hunt is coming up I don’t want to hassle with trying on and breaking in new boots. I’ve loved these boots and don’t want to buy new ones if I don’t have too. Any tricks on stretching or widening the heel area? Any input is appreciated.

• Like 1

Go by Good Feet and get insteps fit for you.

• Like 2

like Chef said, sock liners are the key, for my feet anyway.  I go with the silk ones from REI.  Since I started wearing them, I haven't had any hotspots or blisters.  They make me feel pretty too.  

I wear a thinner main sock too.  

Leukotape is an essential backpack item

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input everyone! I wear liners with my boots for work but never had to wear liners with these because the fit was always good until recently. I’ve heard about that tape 

Thanks for sharing the link on the tape, I had never heard of it but it looks way better than the moleskin solution that's been my go to for years.  Plus its a butt ton cheaper!

I’ve had a couple pairs of boots where I had to crank down the laces at the bottom of the neck pretty tight to anchor my heel in place...could try that. There are also some different lacing patterns that can help. 

My boots are Danner too but I think it’s in how you lace them. This has ruined more hunts for me than I care to admit. Wearing sneakers on day two sucks. I need to experiment with lacing strategies like the ones at the 8:00 mark on this video.    

I have also gone to superfeet (Green) insoles too and now use the white base layer sock at REI also. I also bought ArmaSkin anti blister socks but haven’t tested them throughly yet. If you solve this issue keep us posted. 
Also, there are lots of other boot lacing videos online.

I need to try these and go hit Black Mountain to test it.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NOTAGS said:

Thanks for sharing the link on the tape, I had never heard of it but it looks way better than the moleskin solution that's been my go to for years.  Plus its a butt ton cheaper!

Went to walmart looking for it, they carry kt tape, a hair less quality then lueko but very similar.

My superfeet insoles came today. Gonna wear one pair tommorow and report back.

While on the subject i was looking for orthopedic flip flops since my old pair lost their squishy. 

Ordered these last night..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KRQRHMH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Me9CFbKW6EYP2

The oofos looked good but enough bad reviews kept me away.  

6 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

My superfeet insoles came today. Gonna wear one pair tommorow and report back.

While on the subject i was looking for orthopedic flip flops since my old pair lost their squishy. 

Ordered these last night..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KRQRHMH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Me9CFbKW6EYP2

The oofos looked good but enough bad reviews kept me away.  

Let me know how you like those flops...after a series of heel issues my podiatrist basically forbid me from wearing flat flip flops or sandals. I have a pair of Olukai that I like, but not cheap. 

• Like 1