AzDiamondHeat

Road Hunting discussion

Another thread had me thinking about this.

Many hunters have a very negative view of "road hunters". Some road hunt out of necessity(age, disability, injury, etc etc) but these are not the guys I am talking about here.

I'm curious how people feel about a situation where an otherwise "anti" road hunter type comes across a target of opportunity.

Do you consider that "road hunting"?

Would YOU take a shot at that "target of opportunity" or is it all about the chase for you?

Over the years I've had to chuckle at the guys who get fired up over "road hunters".  If they themselves were not on or near a road how would they know other folks were road hunting? If you like hunting from your truck, stay on the road and not driving cross country, then I say go for it.  This has no effect on the 10% of the hunters that are doing 90% of the killing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Im an opportunist, i love the chase but if an opportunity comes up its fair game in my eyes. But with deer im picky now so most likely the chance really wouldnt likely happen. 

6 minutes ago, Swivelhead said:

AZ roadhunters are amateurs.  From what I've seen, Utah is the Babylon of road hunting.  

Agreed with Az

but Utah aint nothing, Western Washington and the olympic peninsula State #1. Eastern Washington is a different story its like the rim here in Az

People dont like to get wet and cold walking in 4-6 foot tall ferns. most deer and elk were shot out of a pickup bed while the kid was driving. that way you had a vantage point farther than 20 feet.

28 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Not this bullshit again 

I am bored and there is nothing like a good road hunting thread to pass the time.

and it was more of a "target of opportunity" question than a road hunting question. I just phrased it poorly.

Still 24 hrs until I leave for NM and I can't stare at the clock any longer....

9 minutes ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

I am bored and there is nothing like a good road hunting thread to pass the time.

and it was more of a "target of opportunity" question than a road hunting question. I just phrased it poorly.

Still 24 hrs until I leave for NM and I can't stare at the clock any longer....

Never pass up a good volunteer 😁😁

• Like 2

Hi, my name's Joe and I'm a road hunter. It's been 3 days since my last road hunt. Some days are better than others but today has been a tough one because all I can think of is cruising around in my truck looking for deer sipping back on a Dr. Pepper while listening to some Jon Pardi, Luke Combs and Midland. heck I might even through in a little 311 just to mix it up a bit. As much as I try there's no use fighting it I'm a born and raised roadhuntin fool. 

• Haha 1

It's all about the speed you drive. If you are driving along at less than 5MPH Mr. Game Warden might stop you for road hunting. If you are going from point A to point B at a faster clip and see something then pull off the road and have at it. Can't tell you how many times I got behind somebody going 5 MPH and they wouldn't let me pass or worse yet coming up to a truck in the middle of the road with both doors open and nobody around. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DUG said:

It's all about the speed you drive. If you are driving along at less than 5MPH Mr. Game Warden might stop you for road hunting. If you are going from point A to point B at a faster clip and see something then pull off the road and have at it. Can't tell you how many times I got behind somebody going 5 MPH and they wouldn't let me pass or worse yet coming up to a truck in the middle of the road with both doors open and nobody around. 

I mostly speed troll. 

• Like 1

I don't mind cause they push animals in further to me for the most part, unless they are driving slow and not in a side by side.  If i was driving during legal light and had an opportunity i would take it, but its not the way i hunt.