dtrugger88

New to Arizona

My wife and I just relocated from the East Coast (VA) where I only hunted for Whitetail. I'm new to Arizona hunting, the draw process, general information. Just looking to find out what some experienced Arizona guys would suggest as a starting point to learning to hunt this area we are located in Tucson. Thanks! 

Welcome to AZ!

It is my privilege to extend a laurel and hearty handshake to you, our newest member of CWT.

Coues Deer (Whitetail's little cousin) are what is hunted here.  Along with Elk and other animals I'm sure other members will fill you in on.

What part of VA?

Eddie

• Haha 1

Thank you, we’re excited to be out here. Originally from outside of Charlottesville. Yeah, I just got into hunting a couple years ago after leaving the military and hunted whit tail on some friends farms, so this environment is a lot different. 

Different weather for sure.  Kiss humidity goodbye and if you can get past the four months of OVEN season, you get 8 months of our other season known as PERFECT.  😀

I used to ski at Wintergreen a long, long time ago.  Raised in Va. Beach, but left in the late 80's.

Lots of knowledgeable, helpful and friendly (mostly; it is the Interweb after all) people here. 

Eddie

Yes as Eddie said WELCOME. Nice thing about AZ is there is always something to hunt. Predators (Coyotes) and rabbits are year round. Probably 75% of AZ is public land, either NF, BLM or State Trust Land and it almost never rains. LOL

Most big game hunts are lottery/draw system but there are Over The Counter (OTC) for Archery. We have bear, Mule deer, Bison, Whitetail, Turkey, Elk, Pronghorn, Mtn Lion etc. Decent Dove and great quail (3 types). There is low desert (3 of them) and Alpine up to 12,000'. Just no Ocean. Fishing is OK but nothing spectacular. The Deadline to put in for Spring Draw is in two weeks. If you put in for the same species 5 years in a row you bet a bonus point and each time you put in and don't get drawn you get a bonus point. The more points you have the better chance you have on drawing a tag.

Oh, and you can open carry and concealed carry without a permit but if you have a CCW it makes buying a firearm a little quicker but we don't have a waiting period and normally the approval takes 10 minutes.

https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/regulations/

1 hour ago, eddielasvegas said:

Welcome to AZ!

It is my privilege to extend a laurel and hearty handshake to you, our newest member of CWT.

A2C5872D-25B3-444E-B7AD-63FACE61FD01.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes, HorseHunter I figured a few here would get my reference. I'm glad you did.  Top 3 movie of all time in my book.

Hahaha My Rights As An American.  I still say those 8 months are pretty durn nice.  Of course, I moved here from Boston so maybe that explains it.  🤣

Eddie

• Like 2

Welcome! 
You will love all of our public land. 
Your new hobby involves staring through expensive binos for hours on end.

Lots of good (and knowledgeable) folks here to help you.

May be an adjustment for the Mrs but it will grow on her. For some reason after two years they won’t want to leave Az but it can be a bit of an adjustment at first. This is based on two of my personal observations that include my Mom’s reaction in 1981 and my Wife’s reaction in 2015. 

oh, and they don’t seem like it but those Eegee’s drinks have way more calories than they seem....

Enjoy the Old Pueblo!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eddielasvegas said:

Different weather for sure.  Kiss humidity goodbye and if you can get past the four months of OVEN season, you get 8 months of our other season known as PERFECT.  😀

I used to ski at Wintergreen a long, long time ago.  Raised in Va. Beach, but left in the late 80's.

Lots of knowledgeable, helpful and friendly (mostly; it is the Interweb after all) people here. 

Eddie

I gotta say 6 months of ok weather. If your in the "Valley".

Welcome to AZ!

You are gonna want to get yourself a tripod and a decent pair of 12s or 15s. Its all about glassing here. And as stated, lots of animals to hunt and very diverse country here.  AZ is awesome. We have zero desire to go back east. Except for pizza!

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

Welcome to AZ!

You are gonna want to get yourself a tripod and a decent pair of 12s or 15s. Its all about glassing here. And as stated, lots of animals to hunt and very diverse country here.  AZ is awesome. We have zero desire to go back east. Except for pizza!

And deer lol

• Like 1

Yep.  I love hunting mulies and coues in Az, but it’s also a blast to sit in tree stands on fence rows and see swollen whitetail bucks push does around.  I can’t wait for November!

welcome to Az new guy! 

• Like 1