Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Did anyone hunt squirrels today?

Curious with this lack of rain on how the population looks and what the acorn crop is. We had a wet winter and spring so I am hoping we had a good acorn crop.

Tracy and I are going camping this weekend with the intent to hunt bear and squirrels.  I'll let you know how it goes.

• Like 2

I dusted off the Nylon 66. I told my son to take his 870 20 Gauge too. Anyone who has ever hunted them knows what I'm talking about.

1 hour ago, Big Browns said:

Tracy and I are going camping this weekend with the intent to hunt bear and squirrels.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Let her shoot a big one.

I took the pup out for squirrels today.  Saw 13 and killed 3 in 2 1/2 hours.  They were all hanging near water!  It's incredibly dry and dusty out there!  Be safe out there and don't park your vehicles in any tall grass!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

Do you guys eat them? What do they taste like?

Dark dryer meat. Stew them long. Add seasoning of your choice. I love the meateater buffalo squirrel legs recipe! But a good gravy and squirrel can’t be beat!

• Like 2

I season them with regular hamburger seasoning and grill them up.  Always delicious!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

Saw 8 got 4. Could use some info as how to cook them and keep them tender. Brine them? Soak in milk?

Good question

Ive wondered about making them tender.  Only hunted them one year on the youth hunt in 23, cooked open flame and they were tough. I thought maybe keeping them on ice a couple days to wet age might be the ticket.  

Interested..