Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Did anyone hunt squirrels today?

8 hours ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

I got one 

A122F9D8-B645-4726-9502-2633FB71AA6D.jpeg

Dang man that looks like a lot of blood from a squirrel!  They must be big over there

my buddy I hunt with in Nebraska loves those things, says it’s his favorite meat.  I’m told it has a kinda nutty flavor to it, but I’ve yet to try it myself.

going out to try to shoot some dogs this morning, guess if I see a squirrel I’ll see if I can’t head tap it with the ole AR

1 hour ago, mattys281 said:

Dang man that looks like a lot of blood from a squirrel!  They must be big over there

my buddy I hunt with in Nebraska loves those things, says it’s his favorite meat.  I’m told it has a kinda nutty flavor to it, but I’ve yet to try it myself.

going out to try to shoot some dogs this morning, guess if I see a squirrel I’ll see if I can’t head tap it with the ole AR

This was a doe from last night lol. Was just teasin with you guys. 

• Like 1

The best way I’ve found for making them tender is to skin and cool them quickly and put them in a brine for a day.  My first was cooked over fire and not brined and it was like leather.  I learned to skin and cool them quickly then let them soak in salt water. Totally different and they taste great

• Like 2

Skin it, cut it up, suaty in pan with tomato sauce and onion, yumm

• Like 1

4 hours ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

This was a doe from last night lol. Was just teasin with you guys. 

That’s what I thought it was a deer splat or a twenty pound squirrel one of the two lol!

I have only killed one squirrel, which I did on a whim while elk scouting a few years ago.  Was one of those big suckers, not one of the little 'chipmonk' looking things... ;)   Cleaned it, quartered it, and seared it in a cast iron skillet.   Added mushrooms, and after they cooked down a bit I added a little cream of mushroom soup, thinned quite a bit with water.  Then simmered for a couple of hours.  Was delicious!!!  Super mild tasting, and tender.

S.

• Like 1

Went four for five shots today.  Short day.  Guess who missed?  Me.  Not Taylor.

20201004_082115.thumb.jpg.952416d6ea5bc968de46e400b3fcd27d.jpg

Saw a really good 5x7 bull.  Bunch of mule deer, and it is extremely dry.  Only found 3 sources of water.  One dirt tank, and two stock tanks that get water trucked in.  

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

Went four for five shots today.  Short day.  Guess who missed?  Me.  Not Taylor.

20201004_082115.thumb.jpg.952416d6ea5bc968de46e400b3fcd27d.jpg

Saw a really good 5x7 bull.  Bunch of mule deer, and it is extremely dry.  Only found 3 sources of water.  One dirt tank, and two stock tanks that get water trucked in.  

Where?

Just now, azbirdhunter88 said:

Lol

Fine, I’ll just text him. I think I know where. Looking for Info for next weeks youth hunt. 

• Like 1