Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Did anyone hunt squirrels today?

I messaged my friend Rob Collins in the UK who has written about 5 or 6 wild game cookbooks and he said either hot and fast or low and slow. I guess he wants me to buy one of his books. LOL

I told my son to brine them for 4-6 hours in ice water then drain and soak in milk overnight. Not sure what he did. He said he was going to make squirrel and dumplings so I will ask him later to see what he did for a soup/stew/gravy. Chicken base with fresh peas and carrots and some fresh tyme would make it nice and sweet. Some black pepper would add some zing and canned white potatoes, celery would pull it altogether.

As for me I'm making a big pot of Collard/Mustard Greens with carrots, red onion simmered in smoked pork jowell, smoked turkey wings, kilbasa and smoked pork neck bones. Hot sauce, cayeene, white, black pepper, red pepper flakes and some kosher salt. It's been simmering for 4 hours, slowly added stuff. I should have made cornbread instead of biscut's but oh well.

6 hours ago, wildwoody said:

Skin it, cut it up, suaty in pan with tomato sauce and onion, yumm

To much work. Roll it in flour and fry it in a skillet.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Arizona Griz said:

To much work. Roll it in flour and fry it in a skillet.

I bet if you combine those recipes it would be good

That's my two favorite ways, brine no matter what over night then either stew low and slow or bread and fry. I do want to try meat-eater style, back hams chicken wing style.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PRDATR said:

I messaged my friend Rob Collins in the UK who has written about 5 or 6 wild game cookbooks and he said either hot and fast or low and slow. I guess he wants me to buy one of his books. LOL

I told my son to brine them for 4-6 hours in ice water then drain and soak in milk overnight. Not sure what he did. He said he was going to make squirrel and dumplings so I will ask him later to see what he did for a soup/stew/gravy. Chicken base with fresh peas and carrots and some fresh tyme would make it nice and sweet. Some black pepper would add some zing and canned white potatoes, celery would pull it altogether.

As for me I'm making a big pot of Collard/Mustard Greens with carrots, red onion simmered in smoked pork jowell, smoked turkey wings, kilbasa and smoked pork neck bones. Hot sauce, cayeene, white, black pepper, red pepper flakes and some kosher salt. It's been simmering for 4 hours, slowly added stuff. I should have made cornbread instead of biscut's but oh well.

Both will be good! Cook like any other game meat. Unless you just grind all the tough cuts? Meat is meat, no matter where it comes from. Cooking a protein correctly does not take skill, it takes creativity. Just don’t create so much it ends up in a trash can.

It was a slow day for my wife and I.  We saw 4 and killed 3.  Really only hunted for about 4 hours, but DEFINITELY slower than last year! 

I season them with regular hamburger seasoning and grill them up.  Always delicious!!!

We did see a stud Muley Buck in full velvet!

IMG_20201004_132043_222.jpg

IMG_20201004_132043_223.jpg

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

Will you guys eat a raccoon too?

I will literally try almost anything once. Ive heard its actually good 

Grossest thing i tried was lamb brains in a middle eastern restaurant. Pretty nasty.  Then menudo, then lima beans. Uugghh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

I will literally try almost anything once. Ive heard its actually good 

Grossest thing i tried was lamb brains in a middle eastern restaurant. Pretty nasty.  Then menudo, then lima beans. Uugghh.

Ya F that