Sign in to follow this  
sherman

Binoculars

I am looking to add some higher end binoculars to my gear and since my buddy that was a binocular nerd passed away. I am looking for suggestions. I have about $1500 otd  to spend I have been wanting the leupold bx5 15x56 but don't want to be disappointed. Does anyone have those. Tia

I have a pair of Vortex Kaibab 15x56 HD that I’ll sell you for half your budget 

Meopta. Hands down, best bang for your $.

The bx5s are good glass wise but imo felt too heavy and i didnt like the ergonomics. 

• Like 4

Buy used Swarovski 15s non HD for 1500 or save a little more for HD 15s. Dont buy second rate when you are so close to the best.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Meopta. Hands down, best bang for your $.

The bx5s are good glass wise but imo felt too heavy and i didnt like the ergonomics. 

Exact same for me. Needed to get glass right before a hunt a couple of years ago and ran down to Cabela's to check out the options. I was looking at the Meoptas the BX5 and Swarovski. Leupold's were heavy and felt clumsy looking through. Swaros just enough better looking through than the Meoptas but not twice the price better. Very pleased with my Meopta 12X50's.

If you are patient you can probably get used Swaro HD’s for that price. Check out  Optics 4 Rent at the end of the season. 

• Like 2

I’m with some of the other guys here, save a few hundred more dollars and get the Swarovski 15 HD’s, used or new, you won’t regret it once you do it.  I’ve had mine for 3 or 4 years now and I wouldn’t give them up for any of the brands mentioned. 

I know at one time the Swarovskis 15s were very wide in IPD. Has that changed with the newest model? If the lenses can't get close enough for my beady eyes I would rather have a set maybe a bit lower in the optics dept to get the right fit. I had Kaibab 15s at one time and liked them fine, but I think 12's might work for me. Need to try out some if the newer offerings. Maven sounds good. I am intrigued with their Japanese glass and USA assembly.

Brands mentioned are all excellent.  Be honest with yourself as in what would you really like to have, spend accordingly.  Personally, I have three pairs of 15's: Swaro 15's ( pre 2006, not NEU), Swaro 15 HD and Zeiss Conquest 15x56.  Zeiss are very good but finicky with IPD.  Optically, Zeiss are on par or better than the older Swaro 15's, prefer the ergonomics of the older Swaros over the Zeiss.  Swaro 15 HD's are a step up.  Ergonomics are amazing, good eye relief and a large sharp sweet spot.   What ever you purchase, pay particular attention to eye relief as it's a big deal for eyeglass wearers.  Likely, you'll own your new binos for a long time.  Plan ahead as eventually, you may need eyeglasses.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TOBY said:

Buy used Swarovski 15s non HD for 1500 or save a little more for HD 15s. Dont buy second rate when you are so close to the best.

You think non HD swaros are better than meoptas or zeiss?

11 minutes ago, Swivelhead said:

Brands mentioned are all excellent.  Be honest with yourself as in what would you really like to have, spend accordingly.  Personally, I have three pairs of 15's: Swaro 15's ( pre 2006, not NEU), Swaro 15 HD and Zeiss Conquest 15x56.  Zeiss are very good but finicky with IPD.  Optically, Zeiss are on par or better than the older Swaro 15's, prefer the ergonomics of the older Swaros over the Zeiss.  Swaro 15 HD's are a step up.  Ergonomics are amazing, good eye relief and a large sharp sweet spot.   What ever you purchase, pay particular attention to eye relief as it's a big deal for eyeglass wearers.  Likely, you'll own your new binos for a long time.  Plan ahead as eventually, you may need eyeglasses.

Thanks I have now switched to looking at meaopta 12x50 I already ware glasses but remove them when I glass maybe I shouldn't but the leupold has always sparked my interest 

4 minutes ago, creed_az_88 said:

You think non HD swaros are better than meoptas or zeiss?

Have you used meopta 15x56