bowhunter-tw

300 win mag rifle opinions

I am considering getting a 300 win mag as a hunting rifle but a little overwhelmed by options. I am pretty sure I want a break, probably a 24” barrel pre break, and was thinking a sporter contour barrel to keep the weight down; Any opinions as to why I should consider something different? 

Any opinions on the series 1 weatherby vanguard sporters? 24” barrel 1:10 twist.

NO brake they are for girls and FGBK people. next to the .243 its one of my Favorite rounds I been shooting them since the early 80's even brought them out p-dog shooting. thousands of rounds fired and I still dont flinch. I like the 26" barreled older rugers the 700 bdl's and ruger#1's in 300. but that just me. Had a remington 40xb in 300 that I used for long range stuff if I recall it had a 27" barrel and it was a tack driver.

Brakes will kill your ears and everyone around you not to mention they will make you flinch

Well that’s quite the rant.

a brake will not make you flinch or kill your ears. Use hearing protection. Enjoy watching your own hits and reduced recoil. 

any barrel length/profile you choose will be just fine. 

• Like 4

Had them sold all the rifles with them on and bought rifles with out them. had them on the 22-250 a few .243 and even a .220. still got one in the safe thats a 25-06 with one on and havent shot it from maybe late 80's early 90's. watching red mist is great in the smaller calibers but that crack will f you up.

Oh yeah the .338 was the worse with a brake

always wore ear plugs and muffs since I was a kid. I shot alot usually a few thousand rounds a weekend at pdogs and lots of .357. as a kid shooting skeet I shot and average of 500-700 rounds a week from the age 8 to the early 20's. only time I dont wear hearing protection is if I am out hunting unless its dove and sometimes quail then I wear it. My hearing is shot. 50+ years(dang I'm getting old) of shooting and driving with out a/c and your window down will kill your hearing.

Recoil doesnt bother me even in 50's ;)

You might consider a suppressor instead of a break. I think noise creates more flinch than recoil. Just my .02.

In terms of rifle model. I have a BDL and will say that the number of options available is fantastic. As the most mass produced rifle ever it’s easy to find stocks, breaks, mounts, rails, bolts, etc. And every Smith in the world knows how to work on one.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

You might consider a suppressor instead of a break. I think noise creates more flinch than recoil. Just my .02.

In terms of rifle model. I have a BDL and will say that the number of options available is fantastic. As the most mass produced rifle ever it’s easy to find stocks, breaks, mounts, rails, bolts, etc. And every Smith in the world knows how to work on one.

I might consider a suppressor in the future, the price and wait time have steered me away from them currently. The 700’s are good guns, my dad has a few in other calibers. The reason I ask about the weatherby is I have a 45-70 for trade and have been offered a rem 700 long range stainless 300 win mag or the weatherby vangaurd sporter series 1 in 300 win. The Long range looks nice but the weight of the gun un scoped as a hunting rifle is a little off putting. Maybe I shouldnt worry about the weight?

The after market support for the vanguard isnt nearly as good as remington. I have owed several vanguards and the series 1 is 50/50 if it shoots real good, the series 2 are excellent. If the long range didnt shoot to my standards it would be easy to replace the barrel with a Carbon fiber barrel and true the action, you wont need a stock.

The 700 long range are generally shooters. I have a .300 rum nothing done to it but a little trigger work shoots great. The weight gets old but keeps it decent to shoot. A couple steps up from the series 1 vanguards 

I put a brake on my 7mm and my groups got better. Got tired of fighting that thing. Can totally see suppressor being a way better option. Feels like I’m getting punched in the face now, but I’m not flinching 

Based on internet and gun shop reports, you might also consider a Christensen Arms or Bergara too.  Look at stock configuration to help mitigate felt recoil.  Get a suppressor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Hel!s canyon is another good rifle.

Ive got a hells canyon in 308, great gun! Did have a very hard to open bolt the other day at the range, but im assuming that was ammo caused? 

sounds like I might pass on the trades and just buy whatever I actually want in the future, I dont think the vangaurd is what I want and not crazy about the weight of the long range. Thanks for all the suggestions! Will update once I have made my decision and purchased!

18 minutes ago, bowhunter-tw said:

Ive got a hells canyon in 308, great gun! Did have a very hard to open bolt the other day at the range, but im assuming that was ammo caused? 

sounds like I might pass on the trades and just buy whatever I actually want in the future, I dont think the vangaurd is what I want and not crazy about the weight of the long range. Thanks for all the suggestions! Will update once I have made my decision and purchased!

One more piece of advice, when shooting a .300 WM weight can be your friend.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Flatlander said:

One more piece of advice, when shooting a .300 WM weight can be your friend.

That is another thing I considered, maybe the weight wouldnt be a bad thing, atleast not when shooting. Though most of the time spend hunting with the rifle will be carrying not shooting

8 hours ago, bowhunter-tw said:

That is another thing I considered, maybe the weight wouldnt be a bad thing, atleast not when shooting. Though most of the time spend hunting with the rifle will be carrying not shooting

Depends on how well one can shoot a lighter rifle that has heavier recoil when one may be breathing heavy from climbing/hustling to get in position, excited/buck fever, and in a field position.  Weight may be a real good friend.  Sprint 100 yards, set up your rifle in a field position (not on a bench), shoot at a 400 yard target in a limited time frame, and see how it goes.