bowhunter-tw

300 win mag rifle opinions

I bought my mdl 70 new in the early nineties it had the BOSS system and that Mauser action everyone likes. One upgrade I did beyond the trigger was the classic precision fit limbsaver pad. They claim that it reduces recoil by 70% and even if that is complete hogwash and only lessened it by half their claims, a 35% reduction is money well spent. I love shooting my 300 and even my kids fight over it (my boys are over 6’1” just to clarify) but they have been shooting it for years. It’s a sweet shooting rifle.

Good luck!

I have three 300 Win all have brakes I can’t fathom how a brake would cause you to flinch more 🤷‍♂️it works just the opposite for most shooters self included. 

AA18337F-6A9F-4C42-84DA-DB6989D25531.jpeg

5A146F6E-0AEF-41D6-ACF8-C29D320CC3B2.jpeg

• Like 3

1 more vote for the brake.  Always wear hearing protection. Recoil reduction definitely worth the added noise.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FB67 said:

I have three 300 Win all have brakes I can’t fathom how a brake would cause you to flinch more 🤷‍♂️it works just the opposite for most shooters self included. 

AA18337F-6A9F-4C42-84DA-DB6989D25531.jpeg

5A146F6E-0AEF-41D6-ACF8-C29D320CC3B2.jpeg

Very nice looking rifles!

I have a Remington XCR Tactical Long Range 300 win mag, great rifle it does have a break, very little recoil. it shoots tight groups with my loads.

On 10/3/2020 at 9:21 PM, bowhunter-tw said:

I am considering getting a 300 win mag as a hunting rifle but a little overwhelmed by options. I am pretty sure I want a break, probably a 24” barrel pre break, and was thinking a sporter contour barrel to keep the weight down; Any opinions as to why I should consider something different? 

Any opinions on the series 1 weatherby vanguard sporters? 24” barrel 1:10 twist.

Another one bites the dust at the hands of a small 12y girl with a 9 lbs 300win mag with a break. 

ca ridgeline night force nsx. 

61AD5416-DE72-42D8-BE7A-0010CD7EFCE8.jpeg

• Like 4

I have always wanted to add a.300 Win Mag. to my  hunting rifle inventory ,but after  some consideration and research I think I would pass on the .300 WM for a .28 Nosler.

47 minutes ago, vitalzone said:

I have always wanted to add a.300 Win Mag. to my  hunting rifle inventory ,but after  some consideration and research I think I would pass on the .300 WM for a .28 Nosler.

What does .28 nosler offer over 300 wm? 

16 hours ago, bowhunter-tw said:

What does .28 nosler offer over 300 wm? 

From a hunting perspective the 300 win and 28 Nosler are no different.    If you really want to get in the weeds and look out to 1000 yards in a windy day..........   Then there might be some slight differences.    If you hit an elk or smaller critter in the proper place at under 1000 yards with either cartridge the animal is dead.  

The only reason there are different cartridges is for gun makers to sell you different guns.    If the 30-06 was still the latest and greatest gun, sales would drop like a rock because everyone would own one........sad thing is the 30-06 is still more than good enough for any lower 48 hunting.........yes I own custom guns in wildcat cartridges but it doesn't make a bit of difference as long as the bullet hits its mark.  

I was considering getting a 30-06 but have a 308 already and seemed like the cartridges are about equally as capable so why not step up to the 300 or 7mm. At the same time I dont really need anything bigger than a 308 for the once every 3 or 4 years I get drawn for elk or deer🤷🏼‍♂️... but I still want a bigger cartridge for whatever reason 

1 hour ago, recurveman said:

From a hunting perspective the 300 win and 28 Nosler are no different.    If you really want to get in the weeds and look out to 1000 yards in a windy day..........   Then there might be some slight differences.    If you hit an elk or smaller critter in the proper place at under 1000 yards with either cartridge the animal is dead.  

The only reason there are different cartridges is for gun makers to sell you different guns.    If the 30-06 was still the latest and greatest gun, sales would drop like a rock because everyone would own one........sad thing is the 30-06 is still more than good enough for any lower 48 hunting.........yes I own custom guns in wildcat cartridges but it doesn't make a bit of difference as long as the bullet hits its mark.  

If you run the ballistics, the 28 Nosler typically shoot a much higher BC bullet, which produces less drop and less wind drift than a 300 wm. Even if you hand load and push them to the max, the 28 can still produce more velocity paired with higher BC bullets. Its a case capacity issue. And, even if you look only at elevation, the same standard deviation in muzzle velocity will create a much higher elevation error in 300 wm than in 28 nos. If you are shooting factory ammo, the extreme spread of muzzle velocity will commonly produce vertical stringing that would take you above and below the kill zone of a deer. So, if you pull the shot a little high and you get a faster bullet, you will miss high. You could correct based upon the impact, and then shoot low even if you held perfect but the velocity was at the lowest extreme. Dive into the weeds to look at all the factors, and the sheer reality is that MOST people can't make a 1000 yards shot at a square range on demand with the gear they have. You gotta hit the critter first.

And, at 1000 yards, many 308 bullets common in a 300 wm are below the terminal velocity to expand in many hunting conditions. The cold thick air really slows a bullet. That is where the added velocity and higher BC in a 28 matter. A 180 in .284 has a much higher BC than a 190 in .300, if you assume that you can push them the same speed, but the 300 wm can't. Once you get to a Rum or Norma, things equalize between the 28 and 300 calibers. At 1000 yards, those things matter to making a good shot.

Now, I don't think 1000 yard shots are practical for lots of reasons, even though I can regularly put first round hits on full size IPSC targets. I shoot my rifle a lot, and I reload carefully. ES of 20 still puts a lot of variation in elevation at 1000, and my ES is half or often less than factory ammo. There are just so many factors that can affect the bullet, and that is precisely why they aren't highly practical hunting shots.

Bottom line, for reasonable long range hunting shots, the 300 wm is a good performer. I'd draw the line at 800 generally in a 300 wm, but could be less depending on other factors.