Sign in to follow this  
stanley

Short Cow Bison Hunt!!

I don't post stories/pics much.  (In fact, I don't think I have ever posted anything hunting trip related, other than adventures with my kids.)  Anyway, since not many folks get to hunt bison, I thought I would share.  I put in on a whim when applying for deer 4 months ago.  Just an afterthought, assuming that I would not get drawn, but I lucked-out and got one of 10 tags for the 9/25-10/7 12A cow hunt.  Once I was drawn, I decided I would do everything I could to try to give myself the best chance at killing one. 

I reached-out to, and spent time on the phone with quite a few people who had previously had the permit, including Heat and Catfishkev.   I also spoke with Flatlander a couple of times, since he and his son did the hunt in July.  In addition, I exchanged messages with several others (couesdeerhntr, and others who are not on cw.com....).  I also exchanged info with Jim Mullins, who was very generous with his information/assessment of the hunt.  I owe a HUGE debt of gratitude to ALL who spent the time to give me information and perspective!  In particular, Kevin spent lots of time with me on the phone/text/e-mail, and in fact sent me the key to a couple of his cameras and gave me the full go-ahead to utilize them for my hunt prep!  Super, super generous!!!!  Unfortunately, due to personal family commitments over the summer combined with the fact that I started a new job in mid-July, my time was very limited, and I could not spend the necessary 'boots on the ground' time I would have hoped. 

Finally, I also reached out to Russ Jacoby.  Stating the obvious, there are many opinions of Russ and his crew (Just like there are many differing opinions of all of us! ;) ).  That being said, I found him to be helpful, professional, sincere, and SUPER passionate about the bison on the Kiabab!   When I said I was going on a scouting trip in early July, he invited me to join his crew for a "ride-along" day or two to get to know the vibe and how they operate.  That was very valuable time.  I ultimately ended-up connecting with him for the hunt.

So from here, I'll try make this quick!  One of my best friends & hunting/fishing/camping partners drove down from Salt Lake to help me on the hunt.  We met-up on Thursday evening and set-up camp.  I connected with Russ, and made a plan to meet him early on Friday morning.  My buddy decided to pass on the first day in the blind, giving me an opportunity to get the feel of the thing, and he would then join me in latter days.  I met-up with Russ in the morning, and he made a suggestion regarding a tank I should sit.  Well, 2 1/2 hours into opening day, after seeing several deer and lots of birds, I heard a noise and immediately saw black bodies moving through the trees making their way down the trail to the tank I was on.  Within 10 seconds of initially seeing them, there were 12-14 bison of all shapes, sizes, and genders lined-up about 40 yards directly across the tank from me drinking away.  I quickly focused-in on one of the cows, and as soon as she turned broad-side, I blasted her right in the boiler-room.  As the other's scattered, she took a huge lunge into the tank, then took approximately 3-4 big jumps while turning to get out of the tank.  I could see blood on her side as she got to dry ground and started to run/limp up the bank.  I shot her again as she was running, and she fell.  She started to get-up, so I shot her one last time and she slumped-down for good.  From the time I saw them coming through the trees, to the time she was dead was likely no more than 30-40 seconds.  DONE!!  

I walked around sort of dumbfounded and in disbelief for several days regarding the entire thing, specifically how quickly it happened!   I went from not even really ever thinking about or considering putting-in for buffalo, to killing a 'once in a lifetime' animal just four months later.  Unbelievable! 

Anyway, thanks again to everyone who spent time with me on text/email/phone to help with information.   I'm full of gratitude!!!! 

S.

She was big and old!! (Russ aged her at 10-12 years old.....)

Kiabab Bison 2020.jpg

• Like 38
  • Wow! 1

Congratulations Stanley!  She is indeed a big cow!

We're you sitting at the tank that's in the southeast corner of a big meadow?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Congratulations Stanley!  She is indeed a big cow!

We're you sitting at the tank that's in the southeast corner of a big meadow?

Thanks a bunch, Kevin!

Was not in the tank with a big meadow.  I don't remember the name of the tank, but it was actually fairly far west.  Basically about 6 miles west of 270, roughly 1/2 mile north of the park boundary.  Was tucked pretty deep into one of the east-west running canyons.

S.

Ahh, my herd came running in from the north. Did not expect that!

Congrats man thats a real big cow. Shoulder mount?

Nice job brother! You've got some good luck my man. Its usually a lot more of a grind than that.

No, Kevin, no shoulder mount.  I've never been a 'head on the wall' kind of hunter (I am VERY much a hack hunter! lol), and in fact my house is just sort of small for that.   I'm having Sean's son do a bleached Euro mount though.  ;)  Also, the hide was in pretty good shape, so I'm having it tanned for a rug or to throw over the sofa or something, though.

Doug, indeed lots of good eating.  I had the kids over for dinner on Tuesday to dine on one of the tenderloins.  They were huge, and a single one fed four of us. ;)  I seared it in cast iron, the finished it off to medium-rare in the oven.  Was amazing!!  Tender and tasty!

Nick, for sure I am blessed!

S.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DUG said:

Nice work! Congrats! What cal. and bullet choice if you don't mind sharing?

.30-06, 180 grain.   Off the Walmart shelf, Remington Core-lock.   Was plenty!! (I honestly didn't really need the two follow-up shots, but wanted to get her anchored. ;) )

• Like 2

Congratulations again Stan!!

Loved the write up and now you have me thinking about putting my BPs to good use someday. 

I got a kick out of how you felt dumbfounded after it got western on ya. I know that feeling!  Lol

Great trophy pic and nice sweatshirt! 

• Like 1