Sign in to follow this  
Jazz

Rotomold Coolers

Scouting today.. had 2 bags of ice in the cooler.

Melted before half the day was over. Now that's not typical, it was hot out- but I'm looking for a new cooler.

Something close to 80 quart- so I have to ask: Are all rotomolds pretty much the same?

I own Yeti, Rtic, Canyon and Orca.  They all perform about the same if they are pre cooled.  I like the design of the Canyon's, but I think if it came down to longest ice retention, my Rtic would probably win.  It seals so dang tight that it is hard to open some times.  

• Like 2

My Rhino cooler (30 qt. Igloo) has been lasting 2 days with an 11 lb. Solid ice block. I did fill the hollow lid with Perlite.

Tested in the high 90's this year.

20201005_184335~2.jpg

+1 to pre cooling. I keep a gallon jug frozen for just that purpose. Throw it in the night before and you are ready in the am.

• Like 1

Cant speak for quality but a mew brand bbn i have not heard of has been on camofire. Affordable too. 

I have the big RTIC. Shoulda have saved my money. The lid doesn't sit square anymore and one of the feet pads tore off the first time I used it. My 3 yetis hold ice for a week. My RTIC maybe 3 to 4 days. 

Pre chill for sure! My pelican will melt 2 bags of ice within half a day. Once it’s chilled, it’ll hold ice for a week or longer with very little melt. Longest it held ice (when newish) was about 12 days in the sun. Most coolers like it will do the same.

• Like 2

pre cool, my orion cooler kept its ice for almost 9 days in the sun

I have a 95 yeti and 45 pelican. Both work great, pelican cheaper but heavier by alot. Its the 1st gen model. For the price, pelican, canyon or rtic but honestly the yeti is still the best. I wish I could say otherwise. 

Here's a little cooler hack.  Pre-cool for sure then load the cooler up with ice and whatever you plan to put in it, put enough water in the bottom to cover the drain.  Latch the lid and then open the drain and let some of the water out.  It will create a vacuum that will seal so well you will have to re-open the drain to get the lid open!  The ice will last much longer!

• Like 2

Few years back, a buddy and I hiked a mile or so in and camped out in a place we just found.

It was an October hunt, so 90* out.

I left a case of water, frozen, in the bed of my truck in my Rtic. We came out two days later, and the bottles only had about 1/16 of an inch of melt. My truck was in the direct sun, with a shell, and the windows closed.

Impressed me big time.

Coolers are at a different level than they were 10 years ago!  Your going to find the Ol' Dodge vs Ford vs Chevy on this one! They are all nice and better than the old igloo's that everyone has historically used. I have Canyons and RTIC's.

I will say this CANYON coolers are MADE IN ARIZONA!!! They make a great cooler and I like their business model and costumer service. They also partner with some great companies.  

Precool and use frozen jugs for bulk ice and you'll be happy with whatever you get!

• Like 2