Sign in to follow this  
savagman

Javelina Smoked Ham

I tried a venison ham using a packaged kit years ago and thought it was just ok,  On the dry side and flavor was just ok.  Many of my other cured meat projects have turned out excellent.  I had an epiphany recently and am trying something new.  This will be a mini series as the project develops.  

I boned out a hind quarter and trimmed it up a bit.  butterflied as needed to accomplish a slab about 1 1/2" to 2" thick.

Prepared the brine below and placed in a gallon size ziplock back.  It will cure in the fridge for 3-4 days.

For the brine:

• 1 quart warm water
  • 1 cup dark brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup kosher salt, plus salt for the glaze
  • 3 tablespoons Morton Tender Quick
  • 5 bay leaves
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • 2 star anises
  • 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
  • 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
  • 1 quart ice water

IMG_20201005_181121.jpg

IMG_20201005_183335.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Thanks for sharing.

Sliced a piece off this morning for a fry test.  Good flavor but too salty.  Probably should have shortened cure time due to thinner pieces of meat having butterflied the hams.  

Will soak in ice water, change water and test every couple hours until pleasantly salty.

Stay tuned

IMG_20201010_094309.jpg

After a few water changes and fry tests, the ham has the perfect salt level. Finished off with a light rub of brown sugar and pepper.

Time to prepare for the smoker.  

My idea to tackle the challenge of little to no fat in game meat.  I kept fat trimmed from a pork shoulder.  Kept it in the freezer until I needed it.

I placed sheets of fat on the butterflied roast and rolled tightly.  Tied with butcher's string and placed a few more fat strips on the roast using the string to keep in place.

Next placed the rolled roast into a mesh meat bag purchased from Amazon.  Hanging for a few hours to let the surface dry before going into the smoker.

IMG_20201011_090917.jpg

IMG_20201011_090956.jpg

IMG_20201011_091008.jpg

IMG_20201011_091757.jpg

IMG_20201011_092348.jpg

Looks great but the texture is off.  I pulled at 145 degrees per directions but noticed after I pulled that the recipe called for additional cooking in the oven at 350 during the glazing step.  

145 is not hot enough to melt collagen or melt the fat like I had hoped.  I am going to try finishing in the crock pot.  

IMG_20201011_221159.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

After letting it rest a few days in the fridge, the texture issue seems to be gone.  The pieces off on end are rubbery.  The rest delicious and ham texture.  Overall I give the project a B.  

For Javelina meat (or game meat ham in general) I give it an A.

Changes for next time.

- Find a sweeter cure.  Maybe a Honey Ham recipe.

- Reduce cure time.

- Cut pork fat thinner for rolling in roast.

IMG_20201018_120455.jpg

IMG_20201018_122836.jpg

• Like 3

my Grandma's made venison ham, would use a syringe with long needle and inject brine alongside the bone so it cured from bone out, cover with cheesecloth and hang in the barn for a month or so.  I regret not getting the brine recipes they used.

• Like 1