Outdoor Writer

Field & Stream and Outdoor Life Maybe No longer

It appears Field & Stream and Outdoor Life has been sold by Bonnier to an equity group that specializes in digital publications. Thus, the writing on the wall in the industry says F&S and OL will no longer have PRINTED versions at the least or they could possibly disappear altogether at the worst. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/bonnier-corp-to-sell-its-biggest-u-s-magazines-to-venture-equity-group-11601992861?fbclid=IwAR3gNhckalA3zmC5vXdlRXaAzvgsuLcOI9Krnf9--_cNTzZuoSBti8bPVoc

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/north-equity-announces-acquisition-of-iconic-brands-including-popular-science-saveur-outdoor-life-and-field--stream-301146772.html?fbclid=IwAR1fcZXztt1herTdnq19aSicg0FaFO6J4Ikwr9VhW6gN42_q12KOuTWgfaU

• Wow! 1

Dang I was just thinking about both of those the other day...I was an OL fan (especially Jim Zumbo and Pat McManus) and my brother read F&S and we’d trade copies. 

Who needs those silly magazines when kids have TikTok and Snapchat to pass the time?  Whole different world now and many aspects of it are scary as to what direction it's taking the world.  Glad some kids still want to get out and enjoy the wilderness.

• Like 1

Nooo!  I hope not!  I subscribe to both and look forward to them every month.  First thing I do when I get my Field and Stream is to read David E. Petzal's "Ask Petzel" column.  I like his curmudgeonly take on things.

• Like 2

That’s too bad! When I was in High School in the 80s, I had my locker decorated with pics of bucks and bulls from those magazines. lol

8 minutes ago, Jimmer Negamanee said:

Nooo!  I hope not!  I subscribe to both and look forward to them every month.  First thing I do when I get my Field and Stream is to read David E. Petzal's "Ask Petzel" column.  I like his curmudgeonly take on things.

I'll have to check that out.

Whenever my Outdoor Life came, straight to This Happened To Me.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/tags/this-happened-to-me/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Edge said:

I'll have to check that out.

Whenever my Outdoor Life came, straight to This Happened To Me.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/tags/this-happened-to-me/

4 hours ago, bigorange said:

Every month...then straight to the back for Pat McManus. 

Not I. Straight to Carmichael. When he retired I let my subscription lapse. When you go into Brunos there is a pic of him and Lester at a Bench rest match somewhere.

Times are definitely changing & many things we took as the norm are quickly becoming obsolete.

From a general standpoint, (not exclusive to outdoors) advertisers and vendors are no longer seeing ROI from printed magazines, trade shows, etc.

Even radio and TV mediums are different and evolving to stay a float in new markets based on advertisers going elsewhere.

As with the likes of Cable TV, they would price gouge their advertisers as well as their customers.  Sometimes they get their due.

BTW, did Zumbo ever recover from his comments on black rifles?

Jack O'conner, John Jobson, Russell Annabel and more.  Wrote adventure stories, how true they were is up in the air but it was riveting for an aspiring young hunter.  Now days, for the most part articles are "how to".  Other than AZ Wildlife Views and American Hunter I have not had magazine subscriptions for years.

I guess my years of $9.99 annual paid subscriptions made them an attractive target for an equity fund buy out. If they truly go out of print that would be par for the course in 2020. 

Man, OL was a religion for me as a kid / teenager. My dad used to get me a subscription every year for Christmas. I read everyone cover to cover. But its been a long time. The content was struggling to remain relevant in today's outdoor "space". But I will never forget the days of wallpapering my bedroom with bucks, bulls and bears from its pages.

I still use jokes plagiarized from The Last Laugh and get freaked out wearing waders because of This Happened to Me.

my grandma got me a field and stream subscription when i was about 10. the ads in the back used to get my imagination going of traveling and hunting and fishing.

Real journalism is dead and has been for along time.  There is nothing but agenda propaganda and infomercials.  The best hunting stories are right here on this web site.😷