Outdoor Writer

Field & Stream and Outdoor Life Maybe No longer

Ya, like others here I used to LOVE Outdoor Life and Field & Stream.   Late 70s to early 80s while a teen I had a subscription to Field & Stream, and one of my best friends (and closest hunting buddies, still today...) had a subscription to Outdoor Life.  We would share the magazines back and forth, and sit around reading the articles and imagining being on those hunts!  Often while listening to Van Halen's epic  first album!!! ;)

• Like 3

I bought one of JOC's books a couple years ago, when I opened it up there was one of his letters that he wrote to another writer named Ben East. How it got it that book I haven't a clue. A bud of mine was a big Jack fan, so I gave it to him.

1017182006~2.jpg

• Wow! 1

While I do have the same good memories as you guys from the 80’s and 90’s reading them, they have nosedived as far as quality as of the last decade.  I still get them for my office waiting room (Pre covid of course!) and would page through them occasionally.  The gear reviews have turned to bias garbage and the articles themselves are so watered down they just weren’t worth the effort.  It’s sad to see but it’s the way of the world.  Unfortunately the Instagram hero’s are taking the place of the Boddingtons and Zumbos.  Honestly not all bad as you can pick who you want to follow these days instead of being forced to follow those ignorant boneheads.  The older I get the less I care for any of them whether they’re digital or on paper I guess.   I’d much rather hear and learn from regular guys in a forum like this I guess.  

I subscribed to OL for  many  years, and taught  my daughter to identify the types of animals and deer from the pictures.  She would tell me where the shot placement should be or no shot . We shared the magazines.  But, when they started posting boner pill ads in the back of what was always a family type magazine, I cancelled my subscription.  Havent picked one up since.

Jim Zumbo is back. He pens the back page column in Petersen's Hunting Magazine; perhaps not every issue, but frequently.