Sign in to follow this  
daverp

Fire restrictions. Anyone else considering turning tag back in?

Have a U10 deer tag.  With the dry weather and fire restrictions, I'm heavily considering cancelling my trip and turning the tag back in to get my bp's back.  Only had 3 bp's on this draw (would lose 2, as one is a loyalty point), but would still like to keep them.

For U10, I hunt out on the ranch.  It is more about getting "out there" and away from it all than it is about dropping a nice buck.  Was looking forward to getting some venison in the freezer, but just don't have a lot of interest in being out and not being able to kick back around a fire at night.  Especially as I'll be solo.  Could make fore some incredibly boring evenings without a fire.

Also have some load workups and action bedding I wanted to vet out before the hunt, and get some longer range practice in with the gong, but appears "target shooting" is out until we get some rains as well.

Have been watching weather forecasts and forecast discussions, and it just doesn't look like rain is going to happen in time to lift closures for the hunt.  I guess I will hold out for another 10 days before it is time to mail it in, and hope for the best, but not looking good at this point.

Anyone else considering foregoing this year's hunt as a result of the restrictions? 

I've solo camped without a fire before. Great when there is no moon so you can see lots of stars. I might be able to recommend a range, where do you live?

I have seen a lot of mullies near perrin ranch. Lots of water on the ground too. I say keep the tag. Hasnt been too cold yet either going up again this Wednesday for elk scouting

On 10/6/2020 at 10:48 AM, daverp said:

Have a U10 deer tag.  With the dry weather and fire restrictions, I'm heavily considering cancelling my trip and turning the tag back in to get my bp's back.  Only had 3 bp's on this draw (would lose 2, as one is a loyalty point), but would still like to keep them.

For U10, I hunt out on the ranch.  It is more about getting "out there" and away from it all than it is about dropping a nice buck.  Was looking forward to getting some venison in the freezer, but just don't have a lot of interest in being out and not being able to kick back around a fire at night.  Especially as I'll be solo.  Could make fore some incredibly boring evenings without a fire.

Also have some load workups and action bedding I wanted to vet out before the hunt, and get some longer range practice in with the gong, but appears "target shooting" is out until we get some rains as well.

Have been watching weather forecasts and forecast discussions, and it just doesn't look like rain is going to happen in time to lift closures for the hunt.  I guess I will hold out for another 10 days before it is time to mail it in, and hope for the best, but not looking good at this point.

Anyone else considering foregoing this year's hunt as a result of the restrictions? 

Go hunt. Need someone to tie it up to a tree before you get there? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

At least unit 10 doesn't have caution tape wrapped around it.

Stage 1 or 2 restrictions- this is the rule regarding fire:

"Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, or wood stove other than in a developed campsite or picnic area is prohibited. Exemptions include persons using a device solely fueled by liquid petroleum or LPG fuels that can be turned on and off."

Sounds like all you need is a "developed" campsite. That and cooperative weather (i.e. - no wind). The fancy propane campfire thing seems great too.

Fire restrictions vs Fire Closure... its a no brainier that I'd try'n hunt this tag!

You got 2 weeks...make sure to update with your decision.

Hope the target shooting ban is lifted soon. I haven't zeroed in my rifle yet and it's two weeks until the season opens. Would rather not do that range thing, not my preference but may come to that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Edge said:

Hope the target shooting ban is lifted soon. I haven't zeroed in my rifle yet and it's two weeks until the season opens. Would rather not do that range thing, not my preference but may come to that.

Not going to happen I dont think. Apache sitgreaves just went into stage 1 again  today.

9 minutes ago, bonecollector said:

Not going to happen I dont think. Apache sitgreaves just went into stage 1 again  today.

I'm afraid you're correct 

Turning in a tag because you can't have a campfire at night.....sheesh.  

This is why I hate the point guard system.

• Like 12

I am hoping by the time my hunt comes around that this is all behind us but if it isn't I will be investing in one of the propane fire pits and not look back.  The thought of turning my tag in hadn't even crossed my mind.  Shoot it almost sounds like a good idea to have one anyways.  That way I won't have to cut firewood. 

1 hour ago, lancetkenyon said:

Turning in a tag because you can't have a campfire at night.....sheesh.  

This is why I hate the point guard system.

110%.... Ed F

• Like 2