Sign in to follow this  
Hatchet Jack

12aw late

It sounds like the biggest worry is the 22 gettin washed out with all those big canyons being torched, then the only access is going out over top which can probably be a pain if it gets a couple feet of snow. 

32 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

My guide even said it would. It states that it would open up earlier if able too. Like if there is a flood and they can clear out all the loose debris. But if not then 11/20 the latest

Which guide did you go with?

12 minutes ago, Hatchet Jack said:

It sounds like the biggest worry is the 22 gettin washed out with all those big canyons being torched, then the only access is going out over top which can probably be a pain if it gets a couple feet of snow. 

Couldn’t you also go down the 429?

• Like 2

On 10/12/2020 at 6:49 PM, CouesFanatic said:

Listen to Jay Scott podcast with Duwayne Adams that just came out. 22 road is closed which could severely impact your hunt. 

Yep with the closures and any snow that unit will be shut down....

Heck even before the closures the snow shut that hunt down last year.

Snow was heavy in a lot of units last year during the late elk hunts.

I know of a couple instances where snowmobile access granted trophy opportunities.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, redhammer911 said:

Yep with the closures and any snow that unit will be shut down....

Heck even before the closures the snow shut that hunt down last year.

Snowed for 2 days before the hunt.  Clear skies opening day, 90% melted off by opening afternoon.

Clear for 4 days, then snows came in again, but still passable for the most part.

Congratulations drawing such a coveted tag.  By far, this is my favorite place to hunt mule deer.  If there is still available water up high and it is not frozen a lot of the deer will still be up high.  Once the water sources freeze where they can't break the ice, all the deer drop down to lower elevations.  Sowats is a popular place for deer and deer hunters.  If you hunt down low you will see fewer hunters a few miles north and north west of Sowats.  As so many have already said, glassing is the key and being at right place at right time.  

When I retire I plan on spending time up there every fall during hunting seasons whether I have a tag or not.  

• Like 2

On 10/12/2020 at 9:45 PM, Flatlander said:

Yes, you can take the 429 rd if 22 is closed.  It is a much slower drive due to the tighter winding road that it is.

On 10/12/2020 at 10:45 PM, Flatlander said:

I was under the assumption if there’s a big storm it would be hard to get back out over top on that road. Maybe I’m thinking of the wrong road? I’m still learning.  

I had a 12a hunt one year think it was 1992-3, it started snowing a few days before the season, I was already on my way up. when I pulled up late that evening in blizzard conditions the cop was just locking the road closure gate. he wouldnt let me through and I even offered him money LOL. said screw it turned around went down the road 100-200 yards and picked up the 220 road (old east side game trail)right next to the freeway and locked gate cop was waving flashlight ;) . drove up the hill and to my camp about 4-5 hour later.  snow was pretty f'n deep maybe 1-2 feet on the top. you couldnt see and pushing snow. Dad and the 2 others that got tags were coming up thursday afternoon and friday.

I had all day thursday to my self in the entire area snow was really deep,  we normally camp in the forest on the middle main road then drive west to snake gultch(theres 3 main roads the big springs road, that middle one and the main highway that go towrds the park there old logging roads) anyway thursday couldnt even get close to big springs road. friday the snow started melting in the lower elevations, ran chains on all 4 wheels on the toyoya. no hunters friday and very few on sat. dad and friends and my wife and her friend came in through ferdonia. it was pretty cool having the whole entire unit to yourself, with just a few locals from ferdonia and utah.

learned alot of about the deer movement that year more than I already knew cause I was never stuck in the pines before when it snowed LOL. when it snows hard that place is just beyond wicked cool. the amount of cat tracks you'll  see is crazy stupid. and the amount deer tracks look like freeways.

I don't remember what year it was but a storm dumped so much snow people couldn't get RV's and campers out and had to leave them up there for the whole winter.