Sign in to follow this  
cohofishing

300 wsm

Hi,

Here's the deal, I've already starting loading for my new 300 wsm, but the problem is everytime I go to sportsman's; they never have any new books. All my books are to old to have 300 wsm, and I have gotten all I can find off of the internet. If anyone has a new book for speer or nosler, I'm looking for info on 150 gr and 165 gr in the IMR 4350, IMR 4831 and RL 22. I need min and max loads with primer's.

Thanks,

Brent

Yes,

I was able to look it up on the internet. I'm trying to find some info out of a book. I have one on order but it is not here yet. Nosler only put the barebone stuff on the web.

Thanks

Brent

I have gotten my best accuracy out of 64.5 grains of IMR 4831 with 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. Less than 1" @ 100 and 3" at 200. I get similar results with 60.5 grains of IMR 4064. The only other powder I have tried for my .300 WSM is Winchester 760 and it didn't perform as well as the others mentioned. Also, I'm shooting a Tikka T3.

You might just load a series in 0.5 grain increasing increments and shoot over a chrony to see what your rifle does and when it reaches published max velocity for the chosen powder. I have shot a couple of loads in my Kimber 300WSM that are under published max gr and vel, but will give a tight bolt in my HS Precision 300WSM. Your gun is likely different than the test barrrel the data book used.

Books are like stop signs. I view them more as a suggestion...

Do like the all-wise Rabbit says and load up until you have pressure signs. Back off a grain and load five. Do that with five different powders. Shoot the five groups and see which one performs..

I seem to get one of the max loads that will shoot under or at an inch every time and that is minute of Coues accuracy...

If you want to get fancy you can shoot a "ladder" while you are doing it. Shoot at 300 yards, .3 grain increments until you get pressure. Mark each shot in your group on a target at your bench with a number. What you should see is a cluster will form at the "sweet spot" where several loads will group together. Take the middle charge and run with it.

A couple "ladders" with different powders will tell you what your gun likes and where it likes it. Allows you to find your pet load in 40 rounds.

Only thing about trying all those different powders is that gets $$$$...

What I do, is pick a bullet/powder combo that looks appealing... (by appealing I mean the powder that produces the highest velocity, with the least amount of powder.) Then I take the bullet and powder charge and mess with different lenghts.

Example: Started my .257 wby with the 100 TSX at 3.200" with H1000... Didnt really like the results. So I took the 3 mid-upper loads (no pressure signs) and changed the depths by .010... Looks like my gun likes it a little bit longer.. 3.210" produced 2 sub inch groups. From here, I will add .010 more and try and find the exact sweet spot. Gun has exactly 53 rounds down the tube and I have an acceptable load ready to go, but I will fine tune it to see if I can get it even better.

Another thing that can be done if all else fails. Change primers.

Good stuff Doug. I have tried that method and like it for some rifles. I have problems with guns that are long throated and I am loading well above max. Audettes system works for me there because I am pressure testing as I go. I find I can get the OCW with fewer rounds fired (usually). I only shoot about 10 in a ladder, and the "sweet spot" is usually right on the money. Dan's OCW concept is, in my opinion, right on. The question is how do you find it efficiently.....

I also found that the round robin works in some rifles but not others. I have a kreiger that shoots great until you hit the magic number and things fall apart. this method works well with my Liljas.