Ingredients

• 2 lbs top rump beef
  • 3 Tablespoons vinegar malt or cider
  • 2 Tablespoons salt coarse
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper ground
  • 1 Tablespoon coriander seeds
  • 1 Tablespoon Brown sugar

Instructions

1. In a dry pan toast the coriander seeds. Remove and grind with a mortar and pestle or spice grinder.

2. Prepare the meat by using a sharp knife and cut into one inch thick pieces along the grain of the meat and place into a glass container.

3. Combine all the spices including the vinegar and rub into the meat. Cover and let the biltong cure overnight in the refrigerator.

4. Remove the meat and pat dry taking care to not remove the seasoning.

5. Put each biltong onto a hook and hang it in a well aired, ventilated space with a fan blowing . Take care not to set the fan right at the meat. Make sure the pieces of the meat are not touching and place paper towels underneath the meat to catch any excess liquid.

6. It will take about four days for the meat to cure. You should not be able to feel any give in the meat when you pinch it, that is the indication it is done.

7. Once cured, you can cut the pieces into bite size pieces and savor the biltong!

IMG_20201009_162650.jpg

IMG_20201009_161626.jpg

IMG_20201009_161123.jpg

I pigged out on biltong when I went to SA. The one concession had a large building about 20x20 or so that was dedicated to drying the game meat. Everyday before we left, we would grab a couple pounds for the ride, so to speak. 

Biltong drying.  My Biltong box is a converted commercial food warmer (convection).  I added a Bradley smoke generator and rewired the fan to a switch.  I can control temperature and turn fan on or off independently.  

For the biltong, I am just using the fan with the vent wide open.  

IMG_20201010_110220.jpg

4 hours ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

sounds like jerky but I like the hefty slices

Just air dried. I found it a lot more chewable than jerky., and the coriander gives it a unique flavor.

Thinner pieces are dried.  I cut died Biltong across the grain as I had seen in most recipes.  The goose breast is quite tender but I could see this step being helpful with a traditional jerky cut of meat.  

I have never made Biltong or goose jerky so I don't have much to compare it to.  It is tasty, the coriander adds an exotic flavor that helps set this apart from jerky.  It's just NOT jerky.  I think I need a couple tastings to wrap my head around that fact. 

Maybe try in the evening with a cold brew or South African wine.

IMG_20201013_071937.jpg

IMG_20201013_072256.jpg

• Like 3

So raciohurg what do you hunt and what do you do with the meat?