Buckwheat893

Trying to obtain high FOC - without killing velocity

Not necessarily new to bow hunting, I did it as a kid but not really seriously. I purchased my first “current model year” bow in august and have been shooting it like a madman. I recently discovered the theory behind arrows with high forward of center weight percentage providing better trajectory and accuracy. From the research I’ve done, it appears that arrows with 12-15% foc are “ideal”.

I shoot a PSE bowmadness unleashed, 28.5” draw, 70 lbs, pretty standard setup. My current arrow is a 28.25” Easton axis 5mm 340 spine (9.5gpi), 3 - 2” blazer vanes (6.3 grains each), blazer nock (9.0 grains), standard HIT insert (16 grains), and a 100 grain muzzy trocar fixed blade. Total arrow weight - 412.28 grains, for a whopping 9.6% foc, moving at 289 fps, producing ~76.5 ft lbs. I get acceptable accuracy (5-6” groups at 70 yards), but I am looking for more.  

I have been trying to come up with a high foc arrow build without depleting 30-40 fps, but I just can’t seem to get it done. So far the best option appears to be a 28” axis 300 spine (10.7gpi), 55 grain titanium half out, 18.9 grains of vane, 9 grain nock, and a 125 grain point. That setup gives me a total arrow weight of 507.5 grains (yikes) moving at ~258-259 fps, giving me ~75 ft lbs and an foc of 13.5%.

Everything else I try to come up with is somewhere between 435-540 grains, but are causing me to be “underspined”, slowing the arrow to <250 fps, or giving me foc in the 10-12% range. I know that as the arrows get heavier, the bow gains efficiency so my numbers may not be realistic. 

Anyone have any advice/insight? I know the 507.5 grain arrow will work and provide what I’m looking for, but losing 30+ fps is a tough pill to swallow. Any experience or examples of other arrows that may have a lower spine or lower gpi that others have had success with, suggestions on inserts, vane combinations, etc are welcome, I am all ears. 

About the only way to significantly increase FOC without adding a bunch of overall  weight is to use a small diameter arrow with low gpi.  Ive been very happy with my Goldtip airstrikes but they are pricey. They come with about everything you need. But you can add stainless steel inserts or 125gr and that helps..

• Like 1

FOC=more weight on the front. More weight=less speed. What is the purpose of having more “foc”? Your 412gn arrow at 289fps will kill any animal in north america. 5-6” group at 70 isn’t good enough? You sure increasing foc will be the end all? People get too caught up on the small details and forget the big picture. I’ve ran 400gn arrows through a bunch of animals and i don’t think any one of them wondered what % foc i was shooting. Sorry, FOC is a trigger term for me. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

FOC=more weight on the front. More weight=less speed. What is the purpose of having more “foc”? Your 412gn arrow at 289fps will kill any animal in north america. 5-6” group at 70 isn’t good enough? You sure increasing foc will be the end all? People get too caught up on the small details and forget the big picture. I’ve ran 400gn arrows through a bunch of animals and i don’t think any one of them wondered what % foc i was shooting. Sorry, FOC is a trigger term for me. 

Fair enough! Still “new” at this, doing some experimenting. It looks good on paper, real world experiences are more valuable I suppose. 

24 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

I too have not worried much about FOC....until this year. Research and real world applications show improvment in broadhead flight and accuracy and penetration with an increase in FOC.   I know I like to have the most confidence possible in archery and if that means changing things up than I do it, it sure doesnt mean what we have used for decades wont work

• Like 1

FOC is important for arrow flight with a fixed blade BH design.  Not so much with an expandable although proper FOC improves arrow flight in both instances.  Altering FOC affects spine.  Something to pay attention to when experimenting with FOC.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Swivelhead said:

FOC is important for arrow flight with a fixed blade BH design.  Not so much with an expandable although proper FOC improves arrow flight in both instances.  Altering FOC affects spine.  Something to pay attention to when experimenting with FOC.

Yeah I have discovered that heavier heads and inserts are causing under-spine. Looking at different arrows, Easton hyper speed arrows offer pretty low gpi with heavier spine, need to look at other manufacturers still

6 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

I used fix blades and sent two through my 2014 bull and have 0 idea what the FOC is. 

Uncultured swine. 

j/k I never heard of it either 

• Haha 1

I just went to Easton Axis 5mm match grade with 50gr. brass insert. The original inserts were about 16 gr. I'm sure my new arrows are slower as I had to adjust my sight slightly. Not sure of my total arrow weight as I have no scale. Just using standard 2" Blazer vanes. Accuracy is definitely better. Went from a 340 spine to a 300 spine also.

The I think your reading too much into it. 

Either set up you explained will do just fine. Don’t let some podcaster convince you different. 

• Like 1