Sign in to follow this  
wildwoody

The Draw

17 minutes ago, idgaf said:

Nope one of my greatest failures. I was trying with my bow and missed several shots.  Only on black mountain on the strip.  

Too bad. I thought the Strip was where AGFD had planted them. I also heard they were actually hybrids, i.e. part Merriams. I've killed a few Rios in Texas over the years. 

21 minutes ago, idgaf said:

Nope one of my greatest failures. I was trying with my bow and missed several shots.  Only on black mountain on the strip.  

Dupe. Ignore

1 hour ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Too bad. I thought the Strip was where AGFD had planted them. I also heard they were actually hybrids, i.e. part Merriams. I've killed a few Rios in Texas over the years. 

Turkey hunting doesn't fit my run and gun style of hunting very well.  I have to force myself to sit still and be patient. I wasn't very good at it a few years ago. Then I drew a bison tag and ...

• Haha 1

Only in for Javi. I still dont have a proper bird gun so ive never applied. I also need to buy a 45-70 before i apply for Bison. 

4 minutes ago, ctafoya said:

Only in for Javi. I still dont have a proper bird gun so ive never applied. I also need to buy a 45-70 before i apply for Bison. 

Dude just shoot whatever you shoot for elk. Or else practice and master that lever gun before you hunt with it. I’ve known (and seen first hand) several guys get cute with weapon choice for buff hunts and it cost them. One guy tried to fire his 45-70 5x with the safety on before switching guns and doing the same thing with it before ultimately shooting a bull o his cow hunt.

7 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

Dude just shoot whatever you shoot for elk. Or else practice and master that lever gun before you hunt with it. I’ve known (and seen first hand) several guys get cute with weapon choice for buff hunts and it cost them. One guy tried to fire his 45-70 5x with the safety on before switching guns and doing the same thing with it before ultimately shooting a bull o his cow hunt.

But thats how I can justify to my wife that I "need" a 45-70. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, idgaf said:

Turkey hunting doesn't fit my run and gun style of hunting very well.  I have to force myself to sit still and be patient. I wasn't very good at it a few years ago. Then I drew a bison tag and ...

I hear ya. I was always more of still-hunt type, even after glassing became the"in-thing." I hated it when I hunted deer in the eastern and southern states and was forced to sit in a stand all day because of the situation. 

17 hours ago, Flatlander said:

Yeah but that guy sounds like an idiot 

• Haha 1

Interesting coincidence; day of the draw deadline my ol lady out of the blue says she wants to start hunting. 

Of course that affirmation came with a list of what she would not shoot; ie bunnies, cow elk, bear, etc.

But hey what an improvement, she'll be in the draw next year for bull elk and deer. And I'm certain I  can convince her that to get us and the horses out there in the sticks we'll need a new Dodge Cummins 4x4.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Edge said:

Interesting coincidence; day of the draw deadline my ol lady out of the blue says she wants to start hunting. 

Of course that affirmation came with a list of what she would not shoot; ie bunnies, cow elk, bear, etc.

But hey what an improvement, she'll be in the draw next year for bull elk and deer. And I'm certain I  can convince her that to get us and the horses out there in the sticks we'll need a new Dodge Cummins 4x4.

Thats awesome dude!  I was stoked when my wife finally decided to gove it a try.  Hopefully she really takes to it. 

5 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Thats awesome dude!  I was stoked when my wife finally decided to gove it a try.  Hopefully she really takes to it. 

Yeah let's hope it goes better than when she decided she wanted to start fishing....lol.

• Like 2