Sign in to follow this  
Edge

Quail loads

Far NW Peoria, Roosevelt Mark

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Edge said:

I drove along the AZ.P. Canal this morning, I lost count of the hundreds of quail in the first couple miles. Not yet spooky which raises the question, what's your favorite quail medicine? I think I'm going with a #6.

Good old fashion Winchester Dove & Quail loads from Walmart.   I think they’re #8.  

• Like 1

the addiction of Quail hunting.  then you find some scalies or Mearns and you will question your own IQ for getting involved.  fun and high end shotguns though.

• Like 3

Just now, biglakejake said:

the addiction of Quail hunting.  then you find some scalies or Mearns and you will question your own IQ for getting involved.  fun and high end shotguns though.

Here, I hunt scales and gambrel at the same time. I have had scrambels at the house before. I won’t hunt that close to home though.

tough birds.  have found scalies just east of vernon, gambles at lyman lake and winslow and Mearns at Black Canyon lake.

the cripples can teach a youngster patience.  just be still for few minutes where they fell and you often hear the death rattle from under a nearby bush.

lee

For ground swatting 6's are great but there isn't much meat left for the skillet, LOL! Number 8's place a good concentration of shot in a 30 inch circle and don't cook the bird in the process. Late season shots with 7 1/2  at 50 yards are great ground swatting rounds and will leave enough meat for the a good meal!! 

34 minutes ago, oz31p said:

7 1/2 but I shoot them on the ground 

How does the old phrase go? “Run like a rabbit, die like a rabbit.” Or “Take the runners out of the gene pool.” When you are running a flushing hound (Aka my Retriever) or are dog less and they run out to 40-50 yards before they bust it Is so frustrating.

When shooting a double I like a 7-1/2 in the first barrel and 6 in the second or 8 and 7-1/2 if they are holding tight like when you are hunting thick cover. 

• Like 1

I like blowing them out of the sky as much as anyone but I'm not opposed to hammering them on the ground. At a distance, a #4 might be in order?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Edge said:

I like blowing them out of the sky as much as anyone but I'm not opposed to hammering them on the ground. At a distance, a #4 might be in order?

6. Got five on the ground in one shot once.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, el diablo said:

6. Got five on the ground in one shot once.

When you wanna go

7s when we could still buy it. Still have 1 bag left at pops house. Life has been way too chaotic the last 1.5 years to load or hunt though.