Sign in to follow this  
UggRedBilly

Late Elk Rut

Okay so I have been taking trips up towards William's in unit 10 every two weeks and have seen elk everytime except for the last time. I heard no bugles maybe one chuckle (could've been a hunter). I am going up again in 2 days to see what is happening in between hunts and if nothing is bugling then what should I expect? I have an archery tag for bull in mid November so would the rut be possibly going on by then with temps still being almost 90 in the area I have been scouting? Or would hunting pressure through the month of october cause more silence? Or not even a rut at all? Is it good if it hasnt started yet for me?

The rut will be long over, it was going strong two weeks ago in 8

20 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

its possible to have rutting action then. i wouldnt base my hunt around it but i wouldnt surprised. let out a bugle, you might be surprised. 

Sounds good! I am not expecting anything like that but itd make things a lot more exciting! 

You will have little to no rut activity. You are going to have to spot and stalk, or sit water. With how dry it is this year, sitting an isolated water source would be my first choice. It's a late archery tag, don't expect too much. There's a reason it doesn't take any points to obtain. It's a rough tough hunt, but not impossible for those who know what they're up against. 

Believe it or not the rut is supposedly triggered by the amount of sunlight in the day, that's what starts the estrus cycle in a cow elk.  So if that's true then the rut should start around the same time every year no matter the temperature.  Like another one posted, I think when it's hot they just do all their rutting at night so it makes it seem like they aren't rutting when we go out during the day.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Riesop said:

Believe it or not the rut is supposedly triggered by the amount of sunlight in the day, that's what starts the estrus cycle in a cow elk.  So if that's true then the rut should start around the same time every year no matter the temperature.  Like another one posted, I think when it's hot they just do all their rutting at night so it makes it seem like they aren't rutting when we go out during the day.

That makes sense. I couldn't understand why it would kick off of the weather had not yet changed

33 minutes ago, muleybowhunter said:

They are going crazy where we are at. I’m gonna say we are in the second cycle right now. My son missed a cow  today that had a bull glued to her. 

That's a bummer! 

11 hours ago, Riesop said:

Feed comes into the equation as well from what I understand.  In hot dry years like 2020 the second estrus can make a dream hunt happen.  November is pushing the date though.

• Like 2