Sign in to follow this  
UggRedBilly

Late Elk Rut

22 minutes ago, BOHNTR said:

Really weird year......bulls bugling all night long and chasing cows around like it was the first week of October.Β  They're just a month too late.Β  Watched a 6x6 breed a cow this am.......that will be a late calf!

Maybe it was just for fun πŸ˜‰

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A couple years ago I went along on a mid November muzzy hunt and the elk were bugling every morning right before sunrise.Β  Wasn't a whole lot but it was enough to locate them.

58 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

Saw 2 calfs today with spots. Later every year.

Yeah I saw some not too long ago either. Very VERY young. Even some baby mule deer still have spots now too!

Dont rule out a bugle, they work in jan and late dec. our Oldest daughter and I were up inΒ  6a one year hunting bobcats. we were sitting on a rocky ridge using a wood pecker tape or something like that. heard some bugling. she goes I know what that sound is ran back to the truck came back with the little Circee squealer call. Called that stupid bull into (hate to use this term) danger close 5 yards maybe. all I had was a shotgun with a 22 mag on the top. being a kid and not being affraid of anything. she continued to call and really pissed this thing off.Β  figured it was time to head to the truck. Elk kept following she kept calling and laughing. it was pretty cool. we booked into a bunch of small pines . he sat there grunting and hitting the pines with his horns stomping his front paws. so now the trucks out there in the open with 100 yards between us and the truck. we got in the open the the elk kept coming and grunt/screaming. I picked up a big branch and thru it at him hitting it in the antlers he got even more pissed. I fire a shot in the air thing ran then came right back even more pissed. finally fired one more shot about 10 feet in front of him spraying him with dirt and crap. he walked off maybe 50 yards just grunting and stomping its paws. we kinda walked fast to the truck he was no more than 10 yards behind us the whole time. figured I was going to have to shoot that thing.

Ive heard them bugling from the rut till jan, I know forsure they will come to a high pitch call anytime of the year as I have called in many deer and elk using it varmit hunting.

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1