Sign in to follow this  
SIX7ONE

Arizona Unit 20b Youth hunt

First, thank you for this forum! I found this place way more helpful than any other forum. Awesome place for first time hunters!

We are first time hunters for hunting anything. My son was drawn for Unit 20b Oct 09 - Oct 15. We did some scouting around Cleator and Horse Thief Basin area(Prescott National Forest)and decided that it was the place to hunt. We headed out on Sunday Oct. 11, it was a long rough ride in and found a spot to make camp and started an evening spot. 15 minutes into us glassing and my son spotted two monster Muley’s and in the excitement we broke some branches trying to setup a shot and the bucks darted off over two peaks, we attempted to stalk but came up very clueless as to where they might have gone. The next day we spotted a small herd of Muley’s north of our base camp that had two spikes. Again I tried to setup a decent shot for my son and they got spooked and took off. Same thing happened on the third day. I could see it on my sons face that he was very disappointed and he was looking very fatigued. We had a long talk and we decided to pack it up and head home. So no deer for us this season. Make no mistake WE PUT MILES ON OUR BOOTS and glassed until our eyes were dry! I am so proud of this young man!

The positives: we (just the two us) saw Muley’s on our very first hunt, great father and son bonding, and more motivation for next season. 

There are monster Muley’s in 20b. The northwest area is a solid location. We went about 5 miles south of Cleator. The road is rough but the deer are in there. We will get one next time. Good luck to those we drew this season!

P.S. we did check out wickenburg, constellation rd area, but a lot of it looked like the fires got to it first. 

• Like 4

It took me a couple of years to get a shot at one.  That's hunting.  Glad you were able to see some and spend the time with your son.  Next year is another chance, best of luck and hope you both enjoy your time out there.

• Like 1

dont give up.  take your son on some smaller hunts to get him hooked.  (dove, quail, ducks, varmit, etc...)  that s what I did and worked like a charm

• Like 2

Ditch school/work and give it one more chance.

Those types of heck Mary last chance last ditch effort’s can be pretty dam lucky 

• Like 2

Keep up the good work.  Remember, a hunt isn't defined by what you did or didn't shoot, it's all about the experiences, bonding with your son is a successful hunt.  LOVE the fact that you got out and walked.  We had a youth hunt last weekend and it made me sick seeing so many youth sitting in the back of a utv driving roads.  Getting out and walking and glassing is the way to do it.

• Like 2

I appreciate all the motivation and kind words everyone! Like I said in the beginning of this thread, this site has been really helpful and full of people the honestly try to help first time hunters. I didn’t see negative sarcastic replies and I respect that about this forum. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!🤙🏽

The more you spend time in the area you found deer, the better off you'll be next time. Getting to know it . Find little pockets of water  etc. , like locating springs or seeps. 

Maybe this next spring, go shed hunting / quail hunting in  the  same spots you saw those monsters !

You'd be surprised how deer frequent an area. Knowing their core area will definitely make it easier next season.

Hope you have many hunting trips in your future!

• Thanks 1