Outdoor Writer

AGFD -- Quail Season Outlook

I went out on Monday, saw lots of birds but they were so dang wild.Ā  The area must have been pounded over the weekend.šŸ˜·

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tres said:

Haha I actually got 3 but I shot the head off of the 3rd one. It wouldā€™ve ruined the picture.Ā 

Sorry for any confusion:Ā  2 Britts ... should be 3!Ā  :D

Ā 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThomC said:

I went out on Monday, saw lots of birds but they were so dang wild.Ā  The area must have been pounded over the weekend.šŸ˜·

I went out opening day and the day after, birds were wild! Iā€™m guessing ā€œseasonsā€ arenā€™t posted for everyone with a shot gun and dinner table.

37 minutes ago, Big Tub said:

Sorry for any confusion:Ā  2 Britts ... should be 3!Ā  :D

Ā 

Oh yes that is in the works!! HahaĀ 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

I went out opening day and the day after, birds were wild! Iā€™m guessing ā€œseasonsā€ arenā€™t posted for ļ»æeveryoneļ»æ with aļ»æ shot gun and ļ»ædinner tableļ»æ.ļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æ

Didn't know the Owens boys were bird hunters.

• Haha 2
  • Wow! 1

Headed out this morning for a couple of hours to a different spot east of the valley that has held decent quail numbers over the last 10 years or so. 5 mile hike, 7 birds and spooked up 4 decent size mule deer bucks, so that was a good surprise. Really liking the Federal HiBird shells in a #6. No lost birds this trip and the heavier shot doesn't chew up the bird any more than when I was using #7.5. Really cuts down on time looking for a downed bird....they drop like a rock, so probably sticking with that round for the remainder of the year. Gonna try some of Hank Shaw's quail recipes this time around. Good stuff.

Ā 

Capture.JPG

• Like 8

6 hours ago, dmoto said:

Headed out this morning for a couple of hours to a different spot east of the valley that has held decent quail numbers over the last 10 years or so. 5 mile hike, 7 birds and spooked up 4 decent size mule deer bucks, so that was a good surprise. Really liking the Federal HiBird shells in a #6. No lost birds this trip and the heavier shot doesn't chew up the bird any more than when I was using #7.5. Really cuts down on time looking for a downed bird....they drop like a rock, so probably sticking with that round for the remainder of the year. Gonna try some of Hank Shaw's quail recipes this time around. Good stuff.

Ā 

Capture.JPG

Nice looking shotgun.

• Like 1

Went out Friday morning with my son, put a few in the bag but they were jumping up way out there. Might have to go to the modified / IM next time.

20201023_113304.jpg

• Like 1

I got 3 in about an hr this morning. They were mountain quail I found after glassing/scouting deer. Had to really climb up high for themĀ 

• Like 2

On 10/25/2020 at 7:22 PM, muledeerarea33? said:

Not able to get out this weekend but while cooking supper I saw a scramble out my kitchen window. Iā€™ve seen them most every year for a few years now. I didnā€™t think they could breed?

Scrambles canā€™t breed as they are hybrid.Ā 

i want to bag a scramble one day. I just donā€™t think Iā€™m that luckyĀ 

• Like 1