Art20

Best Backpack for late elk hunt

This is my first hunt & will be hunting 3a/3c in nov/dec.  Was needing a good backpack & someone told me to get a good framed backpack.  Went to sportsmans warehouse & they had a large which had a built in water bladder for for over $200.  I thought it was a bit much since I already had one of those. 

What do you all have for your hunt that works?  I was thinking of getting something for necessities such as first aid, food, ammo, etc..  someone said get whatever your comfortable with but what I think may be comfortable in the store isn't comfortable in reality. 

This is the only unchecked item on my list. 

I use Alps OutDoorz. Pleanty of frame pack options that are cheaper than most. Does fine for me and holds more than enough weight. Some as cheap as 100$ and there is some that are amazing for 250

I have the Badlands Vario system but it is pricey. I like that I can switch out a 100 liter pack and a day pack on the frame and then carry meat between the frame and pack. 

20201009_113824.jpg

I forgot my pack the other day and was hauling salt so just tossed 50lb bag in a 10 dollar duffle and slung my arms through the carry handles, haha not very comfy but made a few miles with it.. anything will work so don't sweat it too much. 

The last two elk I packed out was with 2 adult men two trips each. Kifaru 

if your packin hooves you must not be going very far.  

Many many choices at pretty much all price points.  If you're not backpacking in or expecting to pack meat that far then you could stay under $200 and be fine.  I have personal experience with Kifaru, Exo, and Mystery Ranch and they all make good packs, but are on the pricier side.