Calebwalter

Frustrated newbie seeking advice

The azgf website has a great write up on every unit by species.

https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/units/mesa/24a/

Find any excuse to get out there as much as you can.

Learning how to glass will make all the difference.

• Like 2

I've spent a ton of time in 24A and there are very few hillsides that don't have deer on them.  This time of year though really focus on shady spots and stuff near water.

If a cold front rolls through close to your hunt and the temperature drops you might catch them out on the sunny slopes in the morning.

Get to a spot where you can see so much it scares you a little bit and sit there and glass all day. You'll find deer.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

I gotcha , I'm talking 22/23 some difference, but used to get into alot on north side of Frugata Peak and Yellow Jacket in 36b 

I was wading in ankle deep acorns last fall in 20a:  haven’t seen one this year.  Dryer than a popcorn fart out there.

to the OP, as others have mentioned get that glass on a tripod, get a nice comfy butt pad and settle in for lots of glassing. You don’t need to find a hundred bucks, you just need one.  They could be anywhere, so look at everything.

• Like 1

I got my first deer ever in 24A. It was a mule deer. But I have seen tons of whitetail. Was there in december for archery and almost narrowed one at 20 yards. Text me at 480-825-8530

• Like 1

When glassing, what distance are you concentrating your efforts? For instance this morning I was 200 yards from a water hole. I was glassing the water hole and the hillside behind it, which was about 200-300 yards away. The hillsides I was looking at were north facing. Trying to find deer in the shade. 

Am I too close to that hillside? 
Should I be glassing different directions?

Are deer going to bed within 100 yards of water?

4 minutes ago, HorseHunter said:

The azgf website has a great write up on every unit by species.

https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/units/mesa/24a/

Find any excuse to get out there as much as you can.

Learning how to glass will make all the difference.

I’ve read that page looking for clues many times. I’ve gone to most of the “suggested” areas other than ones that are closed due to the recent fires. 

Im very excited to take Duwanes class in the spring. I feel like that guy is a very deep well of knowledge.  

• Like 1

One other thing I’d mention, as dry as it is I’d be looking for water then burn out the soles of your boots walking every ridge close to that water looking for beds and areas where trails intersect, usually in saddles and in benches.  Deer don’t necessarily use the same beds every day, but they do come back to them over and over again.  Find those bedding areas and high traffic areas and mark them on your OnX app and then glass those areas specifically.  Something with horns will eventually turn up.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ForkHorn said:

I've spent a ton of time in 24A and there are very few hillsides that don't have deer on them.  This time of year though really focus on shady spots and stuff near water.

If a cold front rolls through close to your hunt and the temperature drops you might catch them out on the sunny slopes in the morning.

Get to a spot where you can see so much it scares you a little bit and sit there and glass all day. You'll find deer.

How “near” water will they be bedded?

2 minutes ago, mattys281 said:

One other thing I’d mention, as dry as it is I’d be looking for water then burn out the soles of your boots walking every ridge close to that water looking for beds and areas where trails intersect, usually in saddles and in benches.  Deer don’t necessarily use the same beds every day, but they do come back to them over and over again.  Find those bedding areas and high traffic areas and mark them on your OnX app and then glass those areas specifically.  Something with horns will eventually turn up.

I definitely found some beds/game trails/ deer poop this morning. This might seem like an odd question, but how long does it take deer poop to get dry/hard? I’m assuming it’s softish when it comes out haha, all the poop I’ve found is dry and hard. I actually tried to smash it today and it was so hard it just pushed into the ground. 

does that mean it’s very old poop? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

I got my first deer ever in 24A. It was a mule deer. But I have seen tons of whitetail. Was there in december for archery and almost narrowed one at 20 yards. Text me at 480-825-8530

I appreciate the offer to help. I’ll shoot you a text message tomorrow. 

They may be a long way off.  Does will bed closer to water than bucks and bucks don't necessarily need water every day and may water in multiple places.  

My suggestion is to get somewhere where you can see A LOT. Like a mile in every direction. Glass the obvious stuff and opens and then work a grid starting close to you and working away.  

You may only find a handful of deer in that square mile grid but you will start seeing deer eventually.  And that's the most fun part!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ForkHorn said:

They may be a long way off.  Does will bed closer to water than bucks and bucks don't necessarily need water every day and may water in multiple places.  

My suggestion is to get somewhere where you can see A LOT. Like a mile in every direction. Glass the obvious stuff and opens and then work a grid starting close to you and working away.  

You may only find a handful of deer in that square mile grid but you will start seeing deer eventually.  And that's the most fun part!

This will be my strategy on my next outing. Maybe I’ve been glassing hillsides that are too close, In the 100-300 yards away range. 

ive watched every meateater episode about Coues deer and Steve Rinella said something like “once you see one, and your eyes know what to look for, you will see more”. That’s what I’m hoping for, I just haven’t seen one yet...

30 minutes ago, Calebwalter said:

They are Vortex Diamondback HD’s. 

Well you have good quality binos so thats a plus.  Im not in your area but this year is brutal compared to last year.  Last year I had about 10 bucks spotted here and there and would see them consistently.  This year Ive seen 2, and only once.  Keep at it.  Eventually you'll find something.

• Like 1