Calebwalter

Frustrated newbie seeking advice

5 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

If you want to see what they're eating by squashing them, put a couple pellets in your mouth for a few minutes to soften them. 😎

Now let's go to a commercial break: 

Think about buying one of these from Amanda's store here. If she doesn't have any left, send me a PM for info. 

cover300pix.jpg.75dfebf3197995d5b9f15a1262c79fba.jpg

Haha I think I’ll pass on sucking on deer poop 😉

Who is Amanda?

3 hours ago, NewlyMinted said:

I cannot recommend Duwane’s glassing lesson enough.. not just because he grounds you in the important use of the glass, but also because he is genuinely a good person who’ll answer novices questions with great detail.

I was recommended the Jay Scott podcast and that’s where I first learned about Duwane Adams. I mentioned it to my wife, and unknown to me she reached out to him and signed me up for a glassing class. He said he wasn’t doing any more classes this year and signed me up for February. 

3 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Amanda Moors is the owner of this site - CWT

Here's the link to the store so you can see if she still has the book available. 

http://store.coueswhitetail.com/

And Outdoor Writer is being modest...he’s one of the authors of that book along with Duwane. The book is the absolute best coues deer resource out there...in my opinion. I re-read most of it every season. You’ll learn a ton from glassing with Duwane just too bad it’s not before your hunt

one helpful glassing technique I think I picked up from the book...to pick apart an area pretend you’re walking around on the hill you’re glassing. Look under every tree, next to every rock, etc...When glassing a large area it’s very easy to glass ay too fast and just scan. Going back and “walking” the area looking for movement and parts of deer has helped me a lot especially finding bedded deer. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigorange said:

And Outdoor Writer is being modest...he’s one of the authors of that book along with Duwane. The book is the absolute best coues deer resource out there...in my opinion. I re-read most of it every season. You’ll learn a ton from glassing with Duwane just too bad it’s not before your hunt

one helpful glassing technique I think I picked up from the book...to pick apart an area pretend you’re walking around on the hill you’re glassing. Look under every tree, next to every rock, etc...When glassing a large area it’s very easy to glass ay too fast and just scan. Going back and “walking” the area looking for movement and parts of deer has helped me a lot especially finding bedded deer. 

It’s techniques like this that I haven’t learned. That’s a good way to look at things. Thank you. 

Back on topic. If the OP wants message me as we get closer. 24a is a unit I hate to love. It can humble you rather quickly but has other redeeming qualities.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Calebwalter said:

I was recommended the Jay Scott podcast and that’s where I first learned about Duwane Adams. I mentioned it to my wife, and unknown to me she reached out to him and signed me up for a glassing class. He said he wasn’t doing any more classes this year and signed me up for February. 

Momma sounds like a keeper bro!

I have a guy coming down from the valley just to try and help give some pointers and get him in areas i know that hold deer.  You are most welcome to join. I live in sierra vista.  

As already mentioned its all about the tripod, very few people are good enough to not use one, his name is Fred...

I recomend new guys hunt southern units, far more deer then the northern units. Once you know you can pick up deer in areas where deer are, it will give you a bit of confidence in new areas.   Im unfamiliar with your unit but down here dang near every hill has a deer on it.  Just getting behind the glass and spotting some deer will be a moral boost for you.  Also we got enough roads to drive and look at deer, even that is great practice for glassing. You learn to look through holes and "learn" shapes. The graceful arc of a deers back or back end. Silohette of a head etc. It helps a bunch.  

Feel free to come down man.

• Like 1