Roosevelt Mark

Roosevelt report

Putter..  I member that, when they knocked the top off the dam, then added like 80' or something. We were finding Indian Potts on the tonto end. There was no horse Pasteur , thats how the deer got on jack rabbit island..

9 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

Putter..  I member that, when they knocked the top off the dam, then added like 80' or something. We were finding Indian Potts on the tonto end. There was no horse Pasteur , thats how the deer got on jack rabbit island..

I had family that worked for SRP. There was a rumor floating around that the German welding crew demanded shark cages after their first dive at the dang. As silly as it sounds, I have still always half believed in catfish big enough to scare those guys. 

That was true, the gila County divers were checking for cracks and got a photo of a they said 200lb plus flat head. The divers name was Anderson. I seen some big cats pulled out of there as a kid.

8 hours ago, wildwoody said:

That was true, the gila County divers were checking for cracks and got a photo of a they said 200lb plus flat head. The divers name was Anderson. I seen some big cats pulled out of there as a kid.

I'm pretty sure the water is too cold for catfish to hold deep at the Dam, they would be in warmer water. 

• Like 1

I’m gonna sink a 5lb carp at the dam one of these days to find out. I tied into something big there about 15 years ago. Spooled me before i could get it stopped. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GreyGhost85 said:

I’m gonna sink a 5lb carp at the dam one of these days to find out. I tied into something big there about 15 years ago. Spooled me before i could get it stopped. 

Time for a deep sea rig

11 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Time for a deep sea rig

I've got a few that could handle it now. I had a big spinning rod with i think 30lb test on it when i got spooled. 

6 hours ago, dtower said:

I'm pretty sure the water is too cold for catfish to hold deep at the Dam, they would be in warmer water. 

Inside the dam there is a Control Room with a good sized Air Handler and they pull water from the lake and run it through the coil for cooling. The temp gauge was at 53dgF. No automated control valve like you would see on a regular AHU so the coil runs wild. If the discharge air gets too cold there is a 15KW Electric Heating Coil to warm it up.

The IGFA Flathead Record is 123#'s out of Kansas in the late 90's so there could be ones that big in Roosevelt.

• Like 1

Would the flatheads caught deep by the dam be any bigger then those caught in the spring/early-summer up in the Salt river inlet??   I'm thinking those big boys & girls would be up close to the river spawning when the urge hits them that time of year?

• Like 1

I remember fishing off the dam before it was raised, good times.  Had my rod stripped there once also.  I heard the stories when I lived by the lake, but isn't there a certain level where it becomes a dead zone with not enough O2?