Sign in to follow this  
broadhead

Bipod Height for Southern Units

I changed my mind and decided to get a bipod for my hunting rifle but am looking for some opinions on the 9-13” range for the grassy areas common in the southern units. I’m aware there’s no one solution for all the situations that may arise but my thinking is I can use my pack as a rest if I need to get lower and have taller shooting sticks if I need to get up over grass. 9-13 seemed like a versatile option if I have to shoot uphill or down and I have a good rear rest to help stabilize the rifle from the prone.  Thanks in advance. 

I run harris bipods. the 9-13 fits most conditions unless your sitting on steeper hills than get the taller one keep that in mind, however it depends where you hunt. I have a bunch of them so i carry a few in the truck usually on different rifles. 

I dont like the Swivel models as there not as sturdy, the non swivel models will twist/ cant just fine and you will a more rigid bipod too if you twist if till you feel a little bit of pressure. I thought the swivel ones would be perfect for yotes, but they werent too loose on the swivel portion for steady shots

I have taken several 300y shots off my bino tripod.  https://www.swarovskioptik.com/hunting/-c20040102/universal-tripod-adapter-p5504085  I just unstrap the binos from the rest and lay my rifle in the indentation in the middle of the platform. Lots of 200y shots using backpack.

• Like 1

I use the Medium Harris which works for me. If I’m on a steep hill then I will use my tripod to shoot off of. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Absolutely hates bipods crew. Have you tried shooting off a tripod 

I’m considering picking up a QD tripod rifle rest so I can swap my binos for the rest quickly if I don’t have a shot from the prone. Doesn’t add much weight since I already have the tripod. That and a bipod should cover the majority of shot scenarios. Based on recommendations I think the 9-13” would work best for me. 

• Like 1

Seems like whatever bipod I have on the gun I wish I had the other so I just bring both a 9-13 and a 13-27

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Red Rabbit said:

Another option that I have been thinking about is to have a mini barricade bag with lightweight fill (like this: https://wiebad.com/whiskey-charlie-mini-fortune-cookie/ ) that one can rest atop the tripod, log, rock, or pack and have a consistent rest.

Phoenix Shooting Bags makes some super sweet bags.  Ultra lightweight and field ready.  I love mine!

You can check them out by CLICKING HERE. 

The "TBD" bag is one of those "Why didn't I think of that?!" products.  I can roll the top for a firmer bag or unroll for a soft cradle effect while in field positions.  Nice.

• Like 4

The Harris 25C is what I've used a ton.

Unfortunately, after my move, im not positive of where it is at... might need to order a new one.

Been hunting down south in the tall grass for about the last 15 years now. Since  then I've had nothing but trouble trying to shoot prone in this grass. Could be just me but most of my shots I have to take sitting. I don't know much about bipods but if it were me I'd choose one that was tall enough to use in the seated position just in case. Good luck. 

• Like 1