Sign in to follow this  
broadhead

Bipod Height for Southern Units

10 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

The Harris 25C is what I've used a ton.

Unfortunately, after my move, im not positive of where it is at... might need to order a new one.

Found it. 

Bazinga!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

I can’t stand laying down to shoot, idk how you older guys do it. and yes the grass, other obstructions, trying to find a spot you can lay down and shoot. 

Usually if you open the back door of you truck you can lay down and shoot pretty comfortably. ;)

I wish someone would make a Bag that Straddles the drivers side window or maybe ever the door mirrors, hate marking up my rifles on shots

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, OpticNerd said:

Been hunting down south in the tall grass for about the last 15 years now. Since  then I've had nothing but trouble trying to shoot prone in this grass. Could be just me but most of my shots I have to take sitting. I don't know much about bipods but if it were me I'd choose one that was tall enough to use in the seated position just in case. Good luck. 

Good point on the grass height.  On dry years there's not much grass and it's short but on wetter years, it can be waist high (or taller depending on the person and the grass species).   My bipod is the Harris 25 S.  (I find the swivel handy since the slopes/rocks rarely let you get perfectly level.)  I confess that I know some excellent long-range shooters who do not like bipods.  For me though, if I'm going to take a shot that's 300 yds. or more, I want to be prone with a bipod and Phoenix Shooting Bag (they make many sizes) under the buttstock.  My advice for height is to get one for the tallest grass you may encounter but that also has height that fits you.  (The 27 in. is a wee bit tall for me to shoot while sitting so I went with the 25.)

The downside to bipods is that they add weight to the front of the rifle so they can be a bit unwieldy for offhand shooting. 

One often unappreciated upside of bipods is that you always have a stable place to put your rifle down when you're not carrying it.  No scratches from laying it down on the rocks and no worry about it falling and knocking your scope off if it falls while leaning it against a tree.

I just dont see a need for them, just added weight and uncomfortable to carry with a sling.  Set the front on a tripod, easily done without a triclawps or claw. Use the trigget stick ad a walking stick and use that to support the back end. Rock solid. To each their own though.

Now i wouldnt mind long sticks where i can sit upright on a predator rifle but i thinks thats the only application where i would want one. 

Put a javelin bipod on my sons rifle e carried around a fixed bipod for one season and hated it so we ordered the javelin and seems like it’s going to work good, He carries the bipod in his pack until it’s time. Pretty slick

Honestly I’m still undecided what I’m going to do but I do appreciate the feedback. I’m certainly getting a tripod rest but I’m going to think the bipod over some more. There’s rarely one right answer so I think I’ll pick something and go with it. Thanks again fellas. 

I cant remember the last time I killed a coues with it using the bipod.

Might take a few seconds to set up properly,  but we use them on almost every kill shot.